Momentary rough idle

Mopar Muscle
Item Posts    Sort Order

Momentary rough idle

coronaut coronaut
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 08/14
Posted: 08/10/14
04:38 PM

I have a 66 coronet 440 with a basically stock 318 of unknown year. I've been having a problem for a while and it seems to be getting more frequent. As I'm driving the car, the engine runs great. At idle, every 20 to 30 seconds, I hear a relay click on the left side of the dash (between the steering wheel and the door). When this happens the idle gets rough and the pickup is terrible. After another 20 to 30 sec, I hear the click again and the idle cleans up and the engine revs normally. When the idle is rough I also notice my amp gauge drops towards the "D" side. Alternator is relatively new and has good output. I'm not great with the electrical side of things but it sounds like a bad relay. The problem is, I cant seem to find it. I don't see anything up there and I would rather not pull the dash apart if I can avoid it. Any thoughts?

**update**  I found my vac advance module was bad. I replaced it and rechecked the timing. engine starts ans runs fine. Now when i hear the click from the dash, the engine dies. if I leave the key on for a few seconds the amp gauge wiggles and then I hear the click again and the engine will start and run normally again. Could it be the ballast resistor? Im running a pertronix kit but I have the coil (new) that needs the external ballast. Is there a way to bypass this?  

marcohotrod340 marcohotrod340
Enthusiast | Posts: 470 | Joined: 09/08
Posted: 09/14/14
03:22 PM

u hear a click, this car does not have any relays under the dash. there is a starter relay on the inner fender near the battery. something is kicking on that u do not want, maybe air conditioning. what was timings befor an after replacing "bad" vac adv. made things worse