Ad Radar
Facebook Click here to find out more!

Need advice on CAM for 1970 Cuda...and more!

Mopar Muscle
Item Posts    Sort Order

Need advice on CAM for 1970 Cuda...and more!

dchilman2 dchilman2
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 03/14
Posted: 03/01/14
01:19 AM

I just bought a 1970 Cuda 440/6 pack/ 4 speed..Unfortunately or fortuately the auto transport dropped it on the freeway 30 mins after picking it up.  The good news is Loydds of London has to pay to fix it.  Part of that fix is the engine is being torn down to inspect for cracks and damage,  This is a great time for me to put a radical cam in it and possibly do other work such as heads, valves, pistons and such as I dont have to pay for the labor just the parts.  Any advice on what I should take advantage of now while the getting is good.  I would love to increase the horsepower as much as I can and still have the radical cam sound from back in the day. Grin  

IQ52 IQ52
Guru | Posts: 860 | Joined: 06/10
07:54 AM

Is this engine going to taken apart, inspected and rebuilt by an accomplished high performance engine builder? If not, now might not be the time to attempt "to increase the horsepower as much as I can.....". There are too many problems that can arise, from somebody who doesn't know what they are doing, when attempting to build a high performance automobile engine.

Right now in our shop, we are going through the process of correcting a Chevy engine that would have blown up on our dyno had we not discovered basic errors in assembly made by the bodyshop as they attempted to rebuild the engine in a high performance mode.

Other things should be taken into consideration besides big horsepower and radical cam sound. What is this car to be used for? Do you wish to retain a stock appearance? What type of fuel do you wish to use? Do you have vacuum assisted accessories (brakes)? Do you expect a wife or girlfriend to drive it comfortably?

A well built 440 can approach 800 HP normally aspirated on pump gas, but won't be fun to drive on the street for extended periods of time.

No doubt you will find those who will give you a list of their favorite parts to install in your engine............but heed my warning.........have an accomplished high performance Mopar engine builder do the work. Better yet, find that person and have them design and build the engine.  

dchilman2 dchilman2
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 03/14
08:35 AM

Thanks for the input....The shop working on it is a high performance engine shop and the body shop is pure classic cars only, so I think Im in good hands there..However most shops are influenced by profit margins or parts that they are connected to...So I thought I needed neutral advice, not to mention like to know my options in case I exceed my budget.  The car will be used for car shows, limited driving locally mostly...and in my garage,,,I do not have vacuum assisted accessories..although I am not familiar with that...sounds like something of interest.  I hope to use pump fuel,,,and NOBODY drives the Cuda! Wink  If I could comfortably get 600-675 horse I would be more than happy...I want to at least get 500-550.  Im sure 800 horse would run me alot of cash and maybe later I can upgrade to get more....I will check deeper into the engine shops mopar qualifications and take elsewhere if needed...My understanding is they only do high performance engines and they come highly recommended..But I will verify that!  

IQ52 IQ52
Guru | Posts: 860 | Joined: 06/10
11:00 AM

Okay, some ideas on what to do.

500-650 HP

525 or 550

642 HP 642 TQ  

451Mopar 451Mopar
User | Posts: 220 | Joined: 07/10
Posted: 03/25/14
03:24 AM

IQ52 your the man!

I never worry about giving out a list of parts that should make a good combination because it is the machining, inspection, measuring, fitting, etc to get everything to work together.  That is the important part of the build.  There are a thousand places where mistakes can be made that will hurt power or parts.

One that drives me crazy is when someone slaps an intake on and the bolt holes don't line up so they just make the holes larger, but now the ports are out of alignment.  

451Mopar 451Mopar
User | Posts: 220 | Joined: 07/10
Posted: 03/25/14
03:24 AM

IQ52 your the man!

I never worry about giving out a list of parts that should make a good combination because it is the machining, inspection, measuring, fitting, etc to get everything to work together.  That is the important part of the build.  There are a thousand places where mistakes can be made that will hurt power or parts.

One that drives me crazy is when someone slaps an intake on and the bolt holes don't line up so they just make the holes larger, but now the ports are out of alignment.