Mopar Muscle
Item Posts    Sort Order

Mopar engine rebuild. USA or UK?

paul.anderson paul.anderson
New User | Posts: 4 | Joined: 02/14
Posted: 02/21/14
03:42 AM

Hi

I have a 1964 Jensen C-V8 that runs a 300 bhp Chrysler 383ci V8 engine.

If you don't know what a Jensen C-V8 is you can checkout my restoration website here: jensencv8.weebly.com

I am currently restoring a 1965 Triumph TR4A (Website here: tr4a.weebly.com and the plan is to finish that by September 2014 and start on the Jensen C-V8 in December 2014.

So the engine will be ready to be shipped to an engine shop January 2015.

My question is around getting it rebuilt in the UK or USA.

Engine rebuilds in the USA seem to be amazing, they are dressed incredible and new thinking and technologies are adopted.

I am not sure the guys in the UK would do as good a job.

So…Who in the USA would you guys recommend in either the US or UK to get a 330 bhp Chrysler 383ci V8 engine rebuilt and dressed?

I have no idea of cost and I am not sure about shipping either?  It is all in the air and I am just trying to get a bit of a rough guide.

MAybe I should just buy all the bits in the USA and get them shipped to get an engine guy here in the UK to put together??
But what kind of kits are available and where from?

Many thanks for your help with this.

Best wishes.

Paul.  
I have a few classic cars and spend my time restoring them when I am not working as an creative director or farmer:-) Based in the Garden of England - Kent in a small village called Woodchurch. Those peolpe that have never seen me say I look like Brad Pitt.

Tom Drewery Tom Drewery
07:56 AM

Jenson made some cool rides, many big block mopars found their way overseas.. I would sort out a local machine shop. The cost to ship a big block over seas and back would be very expensive today. Never mind the chance of if disappearing on the way back.. What if you had a warranty issue??
Parts? Summit can supply you with all the necessary kits for the build and dress up..
Best of luck..  Cool  

69_340_GTS 69_340_GTS
Enthusiast | Posts: 535 | Joined: 06/09
10:38 AM

With the cost of shipping, it might make more sense to buy a nice "crate" motor from someone in the U.S.  Muscle Motors will build one any way you want it.  You only pay shipping one-way.  

11:40 PM

Thanks. I was thinking the shipping would be a big issue!! Where would you guys go to get parts and the like? Does anyone know of a website/supplier that features the 383?

I'll check out Muscle Motors. Thanks for your help  
I have a few classic cars and spend my time restoring them when I am not working as an creative director or farmer:-) Based in the Garden of England - Kent in a small village called Woodchurch. Those peolpe that have never seen me say I look like Brad Pitt.

tuffnuff tuffnuff
Moderator | Posts: 324 | Joined: 03/11
Posted: 02/22/14
09:04 AM

Pro-Formance has a variety of nice crate engines

http://www.proformanceunlimited.com/chryslerperformance.html

Smile  
When The Flag Drops.,.

tuffnuff

The Bull ***t Stops.,.
tuffnuff

P. Engineer, Engine Builder

Swedcharger67 Swedcharger67
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 01/12
Posted: 02/23/14
02:58 AM

Many things can go wrong when building an engine. I think the best would be to have a fairly local resource doing it, makes it a lot easier to get things corrected.

I'm sure people at http://www.moparuk.com/index.php can help you with some wellknown contacts.  

02:59 AM

Many things can go wrong when building an engine. I think the best would be to have a fairly local resource doing it, makes it a lot easier to get things corrected.

I'm sure people at http://www.moparuk.com/index.php can help you with some wellknown contacts.  

03:00 AM

wayne712222 wayne712222
User | Posts: 121 | Joined: 10/13
03:59 PM

thats going to be NICE

9047371 Orig

there are so many options..

you might want to know that there are 383 chrysler and 440 chrysler build articles spread out in several magazines beside MMM..  you will find some over at carcraft, hotrod and popular hot rodding..

please... ANY Parts you remove from your car.. please properly store them in boxes labeled JENSON parts do not sell or throw away..  if you ever sell it.. somebody may want to put it all back to bone stock..  

11:51 PM

All wise words. Thanks guys. Paul.  

11:51 PM

All wise words. Thanks guys. Paul  

marcohotrod340 marcohotrod340
Enthusiast | Posts: 470 | Joined: 09/08
Posted: 02/26/14
08:24 AM

a good engine shop that u can visit is worth finding, I think u want to stay with the 383 u have if it is original. big mopar rebuilds are not complicated, Keep It Simple Son. do a lot of research and surfing, buy some good parts made in usa like piston ring bearing cam lifter timing set springs gaskets.