Glovebox Find!

Mopar Muscle
Item Posts    Sort Order

Glovebox Find!

69sixpackbee 69sixpackbee
New User | Posts: 5 | Joined: 02/12
Posted: 05/30/13
03:11 PM

I thought you folks might find this piece of Mopar history kind of interesting.
I was rooting through the wrecking yard a while back and I was going through the rotted out glovebox of a 1959 Ford Fairlane. Down on the bottom was this partially weathered envelope that said: "Chrysler Corporation" on it.
I opened it up to find an old I.B.M.-type punch card that I guess was given out to all of the employees of the Los Angeles assembly plant prior to their closing in July of 1971. It is an "Employee Transfer Request" card that I believe asks each employee if they wish to be transferred to another division, either manufacturing or parts depot within the company. Obviously, that was not really feasible for most folks out here in Southern California because there were no other options other that pack up and move out of state. Consequently, the obvious "box" was checked by this former employee.
Too bad, too sad. It marked another sad day in the declining history of Ma Mopar manufacturing here on the west coast and sadly another nail in the coffin sealing Chrysler's doom here and, for many who helped the once bustling assembly plant, and end to an era and for many, and of a job

Hell, for all I know, Mr. Hubert might very well have had his hands on my 1969 Dodge Super Bee when it was being built there!

Enjoy the memories!

X Ray005 1 Zps5aacc918

X Ray006 1 Zps7eb6c839  

Skwerly Skwerly
User | Posts: 76 | Joined: 02/10
Posted: 06/07/13
09:46 AM

wow, that is super cool!