Ad Radar
Facebook Click here to find out more!

Driveshaft yoke issue with trans output shaft ???

Mopar Muscle
Item Posts    Sort Order

Driveshaft yoke issue with trans output shaft ???

HairOtheDog HairOtheDog
New User | Posts: 7 | Joined: 10/13
Posted: 10/12/13
05:12 PM

Hey guys, first post here and i wanted to say "hi".
I've also got a bit of a problem that I've run into with my 67 Satellite,
specifically the 727 trans.
I'm trying to install a driveshaft, but it seems that the 2 driveshaft yokes that I have will not slip onto the output shaft of either two 727 transmissions that I have, it acts like the yokes are to small (?). The splines on the yoke are not even making it to the splines on the output shaft.
I'm really baffled by this,
i was under the assumption that, all 727's output shafts were the same (?).
This morning I bought another driveshaft/yoke from a 1970-1972 duster with a 727, but it doesn't fit either.
The One spare 727 I have, I was told, was from a 66 family car (big car) and the 727 in my 67, I was told, was from a truck
BUT
both output shafts on both trans are the same/identical.
Neither trans has a brake (RV) and no transfer case mounting.
Ill try to attach some pics, if I'm able  but ANY help would be GREATLY appreciated,
thanks.
Null Zps04955b75
Null Zps476f18e4
Null Zps0d43ed40
Null Zps2c8a62fb  

waynep712222 waynep712222
User | Posts: 127 | Joined: 04/13
Posted: 10/13/13
12:00 AM

i count 27 splines on the output shaft..

i count 31 splines in the end of the yoke.. might be 30..

thats NOT a match...

i also see that there is a wide notch in the yoke..   where if you had the proper transmission output shaft spline count.. would be designed to slip over a modified spline.. usually just a small section..

you would also NEVER want to install a yoke that RUSTY or CRUSTY into the back of the transmission..

about an inch inside the seal is a 2 inch wide bushing that centers and supports the drive shaft.. if your yoke is rusted or crusty like that.. the tail shaft bushing might last 20 miles..

\polishing all that rust off the yoke surface leaves it undersized and loose in the tail shaft bushing where it will cause the seal to leak all that precious ATF out until it starts to slip and wipes out your transmission while you drive...

i am not up on torqueflite spline counts...

somebody will know.. but its your ability to count the teeth.. on the shaft.. not the grooves.. and count the grooves in the yoke..  to find the matching part..

you will also need to measure the gap between the inside of the  u joint mounting area and the diameter of the u joint cups..  

IQ52 IQ52
Guru | Posts: 857 | Joined: 06/10
07:13 AM

1962-66 727s have a 27 spline count and 67-81 have a 30 spline......'if' I remember correctly.  

HairOtheDog HairOtheDog
09:24 AM

I appreciate the info.
The rusty yoke I'm not going to use, IF it had fit, I would have cleaned it up prior to install.
The pic of the trans output shaft is a spare 727 and is from a 1966 so that does make sense, it looks dirty but I had just pulled all the tape off of it.

Ill take a pic of the actual trans output shaft in my 67 and post a pic and count the splines.
I thought 727's (67-) had 29 splines yoke and 30 splines trans?  

HairOtheDog HairOtheDog
09:46 AM

Null Zps1e7900d6
Null Zps34baa59f  

HairOtheDog HairOtheDog
09:47 AM

Sorry bout the bad pics its tough to get a decent pic under the car, but I'm counting 30 splines on this output shaft, correct?

(The shinny spots are the light reflecting off the grease)

Can anyone see anything wrong with THIS^ output shaft???

So,
I'm assuming that the "new" yoke I bought yesterday is for a 904?
And will any "standard" 727 yoke work with this 727 trans in my 67?  

07:18 PM

hmm....

Yokemeasurements Zps99bbb41f  

HairOtheDog HairOtheDog
07:27 PM

Hey Wayne,
I'm not following your schematic...is that a 904 yoke or 727 yoke?
Also, I recounted the splines on my spare 727 and
I'm coming up with 30 splines on Both output shafts, not 27.
I recounted the splines/grooves on the yoke and came up with 25, not 31 or 30.
(Did you mean to switch your counts?)
Either way, you're right, not a match, but both trans. DO have the correct (?) 30 spline output shafts.

I'm starting to feel like I'm asking a REALLY stupid question/s.... and that I'm clearly missing the answer (?)

The deal is this,
I bought this damn 67 and it has been a PITA from day one, a dumb@$$ previous owner got their hands on it, and I'm having to correct, repair, rebuild, and replace every damn thing I touch, to say its been frustrating is an understatement, I'd love to get my hands on the previous owner for some of the dumb, senseless things I've seen, so far....
ANYWAY,
This isn't my first mopar, not by a long shot,
I've owned a 71 RR, 67 GTX, 72 Power Wagon, 70 barracuda, 65 Satellite,  just to name a few, and all of em I've had to restore, rebuild etc.,
this has been my ONLY driveshaft/yoke issue I've had to deal with, so I'm a little confused as to which yoke I need and if a standard 727 yoke will work for my application (?)
And I REALLY don't want to buy the wrong yoke, again. I'm also aware that there are (at least) 2 (?) different 727 yoke u joint sizes, the larger Dodge u joint yoke and the standard size u joint yoke.

So, if im asking REALLY ignorant, obvious questions,
i apologize,
I'm more than willing to be the dumb@$$ here, not a problem, that's how I learn, it always seems that I have to learn things the hard way lol  

HairOtheDog HairOtheDog
10:31 PM

Okay after some research I found that;
the 904 has;
25 splines- yoke
and 26 splines-trans, so both the yokes I have are for a 904, not a 727, that's my problem.

I'm going to buy another yoke,
a 727 yoke, 29 spline/groove, since the yokes are missing 1
and hope like heck everything works out okay (?)...

Wish me luck,
And thanks for the input.  

Posted: 10/14/13
08:21 AM

good luck... i don't spend a LOT of time under chryslers...

so i don't know the inns and outs of the drive shaft yokes... and my friend who knew all that stuff passed away a few days after the northridge quake back in the 90s..

he was a driveshaft and mopar person.. had a 3/4 ton dana 60 under the back of his chrysler wagon.. so he could carry more parts back to his shop..

i have watched him knock U joints out  with a hammer and screw driver without damaging the ujoint.. and then reassemble it..    what was worse.. his landlord called the scrap people for his entire collection of parts..  they pitched a life time of collecting mopar and other high performance stuff into scrap bins ..

the landlord would not even sell any of it.. he thought he was getting a lot of money for the scrap value of cast iron..   is a 426 max wedge worth more than scrap value..

how about 8 bolt kellogg cranks..   yep.. TOSSED into the scrap bin..  

HairOtheDog HairOtheDog
Posted: 10/14/13
09:15 AM

I feel like I've spent a dang lifetime under this particular 67 mopar, lol. She is putting up one heck of a fight, I had to pull the trans and flat-back it to reinstall it, cause the prev owner didn't care that the flexplate was the 11 1/8" and the converter was 10"- duh!
No, motor mount bolts, no trans crossmber nuts, just a little ratchet strap to hold the trans in....uh.

I HATE to hear stories like that about about your friends collection, a collection like that, belongs in a museum NOT a scrap yard. The dang landlord sounds like lazy SOB.  

Posted: 10/15/13
12:24 PM

nah... just greedy... could not see the forrest for the trees...

my brother was at a audio equipment company auction when they had closed after many years..

the fellow who bought all the NOS electronic boards was sitting next to my brother.. was all excited about all the gold he was going to recover from the circuit boards..

my brother looked at him and said.. will you get what.. 10 bucks worth of gold out of each board right.. yea.. he answered..  why not open the company back up and sell those boards around the word to recording studios who still need them for several hundred dollars each..  and that guy did..  but what would have happened if my brother had not been sitting next to this guy..

i spent my life putting fasteners back into locations where some body sped up the job and left them out..

i was ask if i like jig saw puzzles..  i said.. no..  but i like more complicated versions..   working on cars..  they are 3 dimensional puzzles..  and when you are done you can drive them..

and.. man.. its been a LOT of years.. since i flat backed a transmission ..  transmission jacks still require you to joist it up into place on the jack..