Mopar Muscle
Item Posts    Sort Order

318 project

hot.318magnum hot.318magnum
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 04/13
Posted: 04/13/13
11:14 PM

hi guys! just some advice and opinions

im rebuilding a 318 and want to either tunnel ram it or supercharge it. what heads should I run for it? would 360 heads be fine? how far can I bore it out maximum?
thanks!  

IQ52 IQ52
Guru | Posts: 860 | Joined: 06/10
Posted: 04/14/13
07:27 PM

Tunnel ram or super charge a 318. For what purpose?  

Budnicks Budnicks
Guru | Posts: 1497 | Joined: 08/10
Posted: 04/17/13
02:36 PM

Is this a 318ci Magnum 5.2ltr. ?, or an earlier LA-318ci ?, that your calling a Magnum ?? if you go with 360ci heads on a 318ci you will "usually" need to bump up the compression, the 318ci has smaller combustion chambers than the 360ci does {except in the 318ci-5.2ltr/360ci-5.9ltr Magnum design, they are very similar to each other}, it will hurt performance, unless modified... is it a LA-318 pre-1992 or 5.2ltr Magnum/318ci, what engine are we talking about here ?, what other mods have been done ??... either way the 318ic of either style, will both need a few things done to make it handle either type induction system, the cylinder heads are a very large part of any type performance build, that is a place you can either help or hurt your engine combo... really it all depends on your personal knowledge base, what compression ratio/what pistons ?, what camshaft ?, what size carbs or injection ?, what type of supercharger, roots, screw or centrifugal type ??, what fuel system are you planning on using ?, what ignition system ?, what kind of exhaust system & size ?, what will be on-top of the supercharger or tunnel ram ?...I would highly suggest you invest into some books on, "How to Build SB Mopars", try Mancini Racing they have a decent selection... RHS, Edelbrock & Mopar Performance all make good upgraded heads for performance application on either a LA or Magnum based 318ci engine... my signature says it all...  
"Fill Your Library Before You Fill Your Garage" Good Luck  "Budnicks"