AC belts for Classic Auto Air system on 69 Bee

Mopar Muscle
Item Posts    Sort Order

AC belts for Classic Auto Air system on 69 Bee

68383 68383
New User | Posts: 31 | Joined: 02/07
Posted: 08/18/13
04:48 AM

I bought a Classic Auto Air AC system for the stroked 440 in my '69 Bee. The stock AC belts are too long because the new pump is slightly closer to the alternator.

Do you have any advice on getting belts that will fit? I asked Classic Auto Air when I bought the system. They said they couldn't tell me.

Thanks.  

waynep712222 waynep712222
User | Posts: 127 | Joined: 04/13
Posted: 08/18/13
08:13 AM

do you feel like cutting one of the old belts???

move the alternator all the way IN.. slip one of the old belts over the crank alternator and compressor pulley..

if you cut the belt .. and use a hose clamp to hold the 2 ends in an overlap.. you can adjust the belt length to fit so it just barely can be slipped across the largest pulley usually last..

you can now.. mark the length of the belt on the top . and lay it out to measure it for exact length in inches and fractions of an inch..  the parts store belts have measurements printed on the sleeve...  

most parts stores have a belt measuring device.. you you can slip you cut belt with the hose clamps over it and find the direct fit..

the idea of moving the alternator in to the minimum adjustment is the trick..  if you can find a belt that SLIPS ONTO the pulleys.. when you move the alternator out.. the belt will be right... i am talking about getting it installed.. not riding in the bottom of the grooves..

if you want to verify it.. you can move the alternator out about  1/2 to 3/4 of the way.. and check the length of the belt when its installed..

hope this helps... the actual belt numbers come close to the actual length of the belts.. there is some variations depending on the brand...

the original length belt might be Part Number: 15610  this belt is 61.0 inches long when measured around the top surface.. and is width group 15.. so if you wanted to go shorter.. an inch shorter would be a 15600... 2 inches shorter would be a 15590.. see where i am going...

edit... i put 60 inches long for a 15610.. i corrected it to read 61..

there are several variations in belt numbering..  7610 is the close to the same size. as would be a 61015..  just switched numbers ..

you can with the hose clamped belt also try the adjustment..  

you can overlap the belt top and bottom or top to top.. or grind one side flat on the bench grinder  

68383 68383
New User | Posts: 31 | Joined: 02/07
Posted: 08/19/13
04:47 PM

Thanks for the good idea / info. I appreciate it.