1972 Dodge Challenger Project

Mopar Muscle
Item Posts    Sort Order

1972 Dodge Challenger Project

Reendog89 Reendog89
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 07/13
Posted: 07/13/13
03:32 PM

Recently bought this Challenger for a steal! The car is, in my opinion, a solid project. I have never done a MOPAR, and this will be my first solo project. My dad usually helps me and will continue too but it is going to be hard since he is about 8 hours away now.  I don't know much about this car, and I'm trying to figure out where to start. I would appreciate any direction/advice you all may have!

Things I know:
-440 (Supposed to be radical, I think he said 506 cam and 906 heads)
-Auto with B&M Shift kit
-Electric Fuel Pump
-3500 Stall Converter
-Line lock
-Accel coil
-MSD ignition
-Dana 60 rear end, 3.90 posi

I'm sure there are things I'm missing that are important. Trying to figure out where to start. Tried to get the engine to fire, seems like the coil might be dead, or just that the engine isn't getting spark. The guy I bought it from also mentioned that the timing was off, so it could be too far off to even start I guess. Ugh.  

waynep712222 waynep712222
User | Posts: 127 | Joined: 04/13
Posted: 07/14/13
08:14 AM

that sounds like its going to be fun....

a few things to help you get it started....

please describe more about the ignition system...

is it a point type distributer or a mopar electronic .. or a MSD distributer..  if its a box type.. which box..

before probing around its important to know that MSD runs high voltage to the coil positive....  not just from the coil ...

photos of under the hood might help;...

there are a bunch of us around here..  that can help get your car started... we don't want you getting shocked..

please.. use a TIMING light clamped over the coil wire and then the individual spark plug wires to see if the ignition is creating high voltage..   look for flashing from the timing light..

if you can describe exactly what components are used.. i can talk you thru diagnosing the system ..