318 to 360 swap

Mopar Muscle
Item Posts    Sort Order

318 to 360 swap

xx_frankc_xx xx_frankc_xx
New User | Posts: 8 | Joined: 06/13
Posted: 06/20/13
06:57 AM

Want to put a 2001 fuel injected 360 into a 1982 Dodge Ram W150 with the original 4 speed transmission. I understand 360 is externally balanced and the 318 is internally balanced. So I would basically need a 360 clutch and pressure plate. Any tips or advice from any veteran dodge mechanics?...

(PS - The 360 will have a mild cam setup)

25604 1291764665792 1577822 N  

waynep712222 waynep712222
User | Posts: 127 | Joined: 04/13
08:48 AM

a few things that might help with this SWAP...

and you will want to check out the various truck magazines also for others who have done similar swaps.. look at hemi swaps not that you are going to install the hemi.. but the electronics transfer are similar... click the my user name for some links or the source internet media link at the bottom of most pages. then click our site tab.. that will take you to a list of all the magazines..

i am taking you are going to install the fuel injection, engine control system from the 2001...

grounds grounds grounds.. grounds supply all the electrons to the computer systems.. if you don't have the battery negative connected to the engine block it won't crank... but if you don't have the battery negative connected to the body.. and the engine block connected to the body.. there will be slightly different voltages on the body and the engine and that will THROW off the digital electronics and the analog electronics..  and it just won't work right..  

i have a voltage drop test to help..

you will also if you are going to run the mopar engine control system.. need to wire in an OBD2 port properly so you can diagnose the various systems with a scan tool..

you will also need to find a factory service manual for that exact application that covers the electronics..  and examine how the vehicle speed sensor data is supplied to the PCM..  you might be able to use an IN CABLE adaptor to supply it..  depending on the amount of pulses per turn of the driveshaft...  i would have to look for that info..

flywheel weighting... hmm.. got a friend with a tire shop... mount the 2001 flywheel up on the tire balancer...  set the wheel width to zero... and the offset to probably zero..  rim diameter to.. 14 or 15"..   spin it up... see if its a ZERO balance...  or how far off balance it is...

you should be able to get a manual transmission flywheel for the 2001 engine.. but i worry that the PCM if if came from an automatic transmission truck.. it is going to be looking for a LOT of transmission data streams that are JUST NOT THERE...

can it be reflashed to a manual transmission application???? thats kinda beyond my massive amount of knowledge..

because hemi swaps are very popular.. you should be able to swap this in a few weeks..

one last thing.. there are primary and secondary oxygen sensors...  the secondary oxygen sensors are really needed after the cats to fine tune the air fuel mixture..  if you want the fuel economy..

i think that mopar performance has a hand book on hemi swaps..  

xx_frankc_xx xx_frankc_xx
New User | Posts: 8 | Joined: 06/13
11:07 AM

Thanks for the info man. I hear the 2001 360 harmonic balancer has a weight on it since it is "externally" balanced. I'm guessing a stock flywheel from a 95 - 2001 model dodge ram would suffice as intended... as far as computer stuff. I might see if I can bypass that jazz & get a different intake for it, try to keep it simple, sweet & powerful...