Mopar Muscle
Item Posts    Sort Order

Need to get a 67 Coronet running!

stephenxjackson stephenxjackson
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 03/13
Posted: 03/30/13
06:32 PM

Greetings,

Fairly new to the Mopar world and I have a 1967 Coronet that I have owned for about 2 years. Problem with this car is I have never had the time to get it going (too many other projects). The car has been sitting for an unknown amount of time. When I bought it, the guy told me it has been sitting in a barn since 1983-ish. That was the last time it was registered anyway. Not sure if there is anything really wrong with it, but I'm guessing there probably is. I bought it for $4,000, cut me some slack!

Last summer I managed to replace the battery, and run fuel directly into the fuel pump to verify it even ran. Sure enough, it started right up, just like the seller told me. I only ran it for about 20 seconds just to make sure it would run. Today, I changed the oil and noticed on the filter that it had 2005 written on it, it also had the current mileage to the tenths! So basically it hasn't been driven anywhere since at least 2005..

Now as far as things I have done, I pulled the gas tank and made sure everything was good with that. I also blew out the fuel lines with compressed air. Lastly, I put in a new master cylinder and did the rear brakes, (checked drums, pads, cylinders etc. From what I recall thats about all I have done. Keep in mind most everything on this car looks really good, doesn't mean it is obviously, but it does look good. Looks like someone did wires, distributer cap/rotor and maybe some other stuff. I did buy some new plugs and was planning on swapping those just because.

Im waiting on a new transmission cooling line to come in the mail, and I'm trying to get this thing ready to run. Is there any advice for things to check/replace? Maybe anything specific to Coronets that go bad? Thanks for any help you might have. I'm going to start compiling a checklist of things to do from some stuff online!  

CJLA CJLA
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 11/09
Posted: 04/03/13
03:17 PM

Hi Stephen,

Don't forget the hoses and belts! You didn't mention your engine displacement so not sure, but assuming you have BB/RB.  Besides the obvious radiator hoses & heater hoses, I would also check the vacuum hoses, specifically to the distributor & possibly carb (can't remember if 67 has a Carter AFB or AVS for secondaries).  Can also check/replace thermostat, and check the choke as well.