727 kick down linkage

Mopar Muscle
Item Posts    Sort Order

727 kick down linkage

Igohntn Igohntn
New User | Posts: 4 | Joined: 03/13
Posted: 03/22/13
09:28 PM

I'm working on a 69 Charger with a pumped up 440 six pack.  I have a new TCI Transmition with a B & M shifter on the floor.  After a seven year restoration I have finally been able to back it out of the garage.  My question is, will I damage the transmition if I drive it without the kick down linkage hooked up if I'm manually shifting through the gears.  I'm having a difficult time with the linkage installation but since I'm wetting my pance to drive this thing I thought I would post this for some help.  Any advice would be appriciated....  

waynep71222 waynep71222
User | Posts: 246 | Joined: 04/12
10:16 PM

if you don't have a MANUAL shift valve body..  where the transmission NEVER SHIFTS on its own.. it relys on you to change the shifter position.. it will destroy itself in a block behind that motor without the proper kickdown hooked up..

manual valve body or reverse manual valve body... does not require the throttle valve control as i recall...

automatic valve bodies.. do..

the kickdown controls the line pressure and that controls the shift points and the clutch pack hydraulic pressures..

there are as i recall CABLE TYPE REPLACEMENTS for these throttle valve rods

here is something somebody put together

Barrygrant Sixshooter

i don't have a picture of the other end..  

waynep71222 waynep71222
10:27 PM

perhaps this will help...

Index

Dscf7814r

Dscf7815r

Dscf7818r  

Igohntn Igohntn
10:51 PM

Wow, thank you...I have only backed it out in the driveway twice but I think I'll leave it in the garage untill I get this figured out.  I have a Lokar linkage from Summit and have it hooked up at the trans but can't seem to get it at the carb...also, when it comes to adjusting it once I do get it figured out, I would assume I would set the adjustment buy taking the slack out at a rest position, but not sure....  

waynep71222 waynep71222
Posted: 03/23/13
07:33 AM

throttle valve linkage is adjusted as you describe...

but..

please open the throttle then force the choke open.. then close the throttle while holding the choke open .

this should drop the throttle linkage off the fast idle cam... so you can get a proper setting.

with cable linkage to the throttle valve.. its a PULL instead of a push..

can you compare the linkage length on the transmission to the oem link length...

angle to pull ratio is important to maintain...  
the distance from the center shaft on both ends is critical..
its probably set up to make it fairly easy to install..

i will look around for the instructions that come with the cable kit..  

Igohntn Igohntn
07:44 AM

Thank you very much for all the help.  This has been the longest seven years but well worth it....can't wait to put I on the road!  

Igohntn Igohntn
07:48 AM

No, can't get anything from the original.  It was a 318, kept the block and old trans but lost a few other things along the way in a move..  

69_340_GTS 69_340_GTS
Enthusiast | Posts: 535 | Joined: 06/09
Posted: 03/26/13
04:44 AM

If you are trying to hook up the Lokar k/d cable, I believe you will need all the brackets from their throttle cable kit to hook it up. IIRC that is how they get you to install BOTH kits (and spend more money).