Mopar Muscle
Item Posts    Sort Order

What Plugs to run

Mark4X4 Mark4X4
New User | Posts: 4 | Joined: 11/12
Posted: 11/25/12
11:52 AM

Hello, I am new to this forum.
 I have a '69 440 that I have recently had rebuilt.  First motor that I had someone else do, but it was not a stock rebuild and I wasn't entirely comfortable, so I had a good machine shop do the work.  
 It has 9.6 compression, rotating assembly balanced and blueprinted.
 Original steel crank, Stock rods, .060 over, hyper-eutectic pistons, roller rockers, and roller, adjustable lifters with custom push rods.  The cam was custom cut for my low end needs and should idle smooth and have power from the start.
 It has the Edelbrock Pro-Flow intake with an EZ-EFI controller.  For now, stock coil, but soon to have a digital ignition box and high output coil.  I have the E-Street heads from Edelbrock with the angled plugs.  
 I am closing in on the time to fire this brute up, just chasing details (building exhaust, wiring, and trying to make brackets for the accessories).  It has hedman headers, 1 7/8" tubes to 3" collector.  1 1/2' at 3", then reduced to 2 1/2" for the rest to magnaflow cats and glasspack mufflers.  It is in a fairly heavy Dodge 4X4 and I want ungodly power from idle to 5000RPM.  
  It has a tranfer case doubler for low end grunt when needed, 4.10 gears and will have 37" tall tires on it.
  Right now, I can't find a plug to work with the angled plug heads and the headers.  I need something with a 5/8" hex on it and can't come up with a number.  Expensive plugs are not a problem, as I have dedicated myself to not cheaping out on this project.    I'm sure that I will have more questions as I progress, but any help with this one will be greatly appreciated.  

waynep71222 waynep71222
User | Posts: 246 | Joined: 04/12
Posted: 11/25/12
08:06 PM

there is a spark plug selector at spark plugs dot com...

click the bottom of their page  advanced tuners..

how much thread do you need??? . extended tip or not...  

let me take a look at the E site .. see if i can figure out something...

edit.. that was easy..

Spark Plugs: Use 14mm x 3/4” reach gasketed spark plugs. Heat
range may vary by application, but we recommend Champion RC-12YC
(or equivalent) for most applications. Use anti-seize on the plug
threads to prevent galling in the cylinder head, and torque to
10 ft./lbs.

so you need 14 x 3/4  i will have to see what the tip design on the RC12yc spark plugs are..
Part Number: 71   is a RC12YC
Spark Plug Drive Size: 5/8 in
Spark Plug Ground Electrode Tip Material: Nickel Copper Alloy
Spark Plug Insulator Material: Zirconia Enhanced
Spark Plug Insulator Type: Projected
Spark Plug Manufacturer Heat Range Number: 12
Spark Plug Resistor: Yes
Spark Plug Seat Style: Gasket
Spark Plug Short Style: No
Spark Plug Thread Size (mm): 14

in playing around with the selector...

NGK spark plug Part Number: 4421
Resistor: Yes
Heat Range: 4
Center Electrode Material: Nickel alloy
Number of Electrodes: 1
Ground Electrode: Nickel alloy   set up for .032 gap.
Insulator Type: Ceramic
Thread Size: 14 mm.
Reach: 3/4 in.
Seat Style: gasket

~~~~~~

there is a chance that accell makes a short insulator version .. i will have to check my catalogs.

the accel index shows all edelbrock heads except flat head use 0416 or 0786 spark plugs.

0416     S 14mm 5/8’’ 3/4’’ Projected Gasket (flat) Resistor .035 •
0416S   S 14mm 5/8’’ 3/4’’ Projected Gasket (flat) Resistor .035 Shorty Plug for Headers

0786     H 14mm 5/8" 3/4" Projected Gasket (flat) Resistor .044 ISO Standard

HEAT RANGE; C=COLD, H=HOT, S=STOCK

these are JUST A GUESS... call edelbrock tech line... and wait for some other forum members to answer in what they use ...

this is what the 0416s looks like..

41Owtnljspl

one trick that is used on almost all new cars...  but  only on the boot side of the spark plugs..

spark plug boot grease... or  dielectric tune up grease..   wiped carefully with a small screw driver around the inside of the spark plug boot.. but NOT getting any inside the metal spark plug terminal... this prevents HIGH VOLTAGE from leaking out between the spark plug insulator and the inside of the boot..   this is one of the reasons that spark plug insulators have ridges..  to make the distance farther for the spark to need to jump to ground..

use this on the boot end of the spark plug ONLY... NOT on the threads...

use this on the threads... just a TINY wipe... and not on the electrode..

Mark4X4 Mark4X4
Posted: 11/27/12
05:23 AM

Wow,  That sums it up beautifully.  I saw that they recommend the RC12YC, and got a set, but can't get anything on it to tighten it up.  I was surprised that they didn't deal with that in their recommendation.  
  Thank You very much.  

Mark4X4 Mark4X4
05:24 AM

Laugh  

waynep71222 waynep71222
User | Posts: 246 | Joined: 04/12
08:56 AM

i forgot about the spark plug socket...

i don't know how recessed the spark plugs are... i spent a lot of time changing spark plugs on my aunts new yorker i got tired of doing them from the top .. so i just did them from under the car..

but there are spark plug sockets designed for headers available...

they have a big groove carved out of one of the flats.. so it will slip sideways over the insulator.. drop down 1/2 an inch onto the hex and work just fine..

this is just one of them available..

Spark Plug Sockets

Attachment

you could also use a 5/8 combo wrench that you grind an opening into the closed end.. making something like a 12 point tubing nut wrench..   you could also get a LONG double box end and do a similar grind to open the proper end.. but use a torch to bend an L shape into the end so you can get around the headers...  slipping some vinyl hose over the length of the wrench  or wrapping in in self vulcanizing silicone tape... prevents damage to the header finish..