Mopar Muscle
Item Posts    Sort Order

Windshield Wiper Motor Wiring - help needed

FatFenderedFan FatFenderedFan
New User | Posts: 5 | Joined: 08/12
Posted: 10/30/12
07:32 PM

IMAGES ADDED:

After taking the instrument panel apart on my 56 2-door Savoy sedan for restoration, I can't recall how to re-wire the switch to the wiper motor.  The dashboard had previously been repainted so I'm not sure if this is the correct switch or wiper motor for the car and the wiring diagrams I've seen do not match the switch I took out of the dash.  

I have a wiper motor with one red & two black wires soldered to a single exterior connection and a green wire soldered to a single exterior connection.  The switch is marked "PRJ AMP" with three seperate terminals designated as "B", "P" and "R".

Motor:

CIMG3272

Wiper Switch:

CIMG3271  

waynep71222 waynep71222
User | Posts: 246 | Joined: 04/12
08:01 PM

create a free photobucket dot com account...   upload your images there.. .once saved..

click on the 4th link down... that starts with img   paste that link here.. it will show up as an image..

there are several members here who are really good at electrical issues...  

waynep71222 waynep71222
08:18 PM

i am looking at a wiring diagram...

probably the same one.. no identifications..

i see that the motor has its own ground...

4 terminals on the wiper switch...

power comes from a circuit breaker ..this goes to the switch and the blue wire to the motor..

clockwise is a RED wire

clockwise is a yellow wire

clock wise is a black wire..

then clockwise back to the blue wire..

is this what you wiper switch looks like  this seems to be one for VARIABLE wipers.. but i could be wrong...

if your switch looks like this.. i saw a 56 chrysler manual...  NOT a plymouth manual there is a image of the back of this switch..   there are 2 ways to wire this according to this manual page 124 shows below..   page 132 shows very close to what is above...

battery/circuit breaker mounts pin away from the switch through the tall terminal.. the B terminal

clockwise from that around the outer edge should be the P terminal with a blue wire to the wiper motor..

in the MIDDLE is the A terminal with a black wire to the wiper motor..

counter clockwise from the P terminal is the F2 terminal with a yellow wire...

counter clockwise from that is the F1 terminal  with a RED wire to the wiper motor..

i cannot tell ... the circuit breaker is shown to be a 5 amp circuit breaker..

the P wire is probably park.. this wire.. probably blue gets power any time the switch is on..
the speeds are probably the yellow. blue and black.. but i cannot tell yet...

!Bqbmu !Cgk~$(Kgrhgoh Emejlllwljkbj44pqfwu!~~ 12

this might be a 2 speed wiper switch

$(Kgrhqj,!I4e8ueq7idhbptildfvrg~~60 12

$(Kgrhqz,!P!E8vkrbh00bptilskukw~~60 12  

Posted: 10/31/12
07:56 PM

Thanks so much for the info but it doesn't sound like we
re taking about the same terminals & wiring.  I'm going to get a few better pictures of the wiper motor and post them here.  Thanks again.  

waynep71222 waynep71222
Posted: 10/31/12
09:23 PM

perhaps this will help even more..

$(Kgrhqf,!Ocf!J Qugcdbqofs!G)9!~~60 57

Z48bqofr5h7uw~~60 57  

Posted: 11/03/12
10:37 AM

Images added of the motor & switch I pulled from the dash.  

waynep71222 waynep71222
03:19 PM

the PR9 AMP is probably a part number for AMP switches...

i see terminal labeled  

B which is probably battery
R...

are their any other mopar part numbers on it..??   or are there more places to attach wires to???

probably looks something like this inside..

i searched out the Patent number 2692309

6753485 0 Large  

waynep71222 waynep71222
03:28 PM

the MORE i think about that..

B battery...  power into the switch...

P is PARK.... this has power to the wiper motor in the OFF position.. that powers the motor when you turn off the switch to allow the wiper to CONTINUE wiping until it reaches the park position..

R is for RUN  this is not powered in the OFF position. but has power in the wipe position..

so you might have a SINGLE SPEED WIPER MOTOR...  unless that switch has variable resistance in it.. like a dimmer switch...

so ... POWER to the Bat terminal

in the run... you will have power to the RUN terminal but probably NOT power to the Park terminal

in the OFF position.. you will have power to the park terminal. but not the RUN terminal..

this is how i see it working..  

Posted: 11/05/12
08:14 PM

Ok...I'll see what I can do with this info.  Thanks.  

Posted: 11/12/12
05:28 PM

Wayne71222-
Thanks for your help.  Your final suggestion about it being a single speed motor was correct.  I ran the green wire from the motor to the P (or Park) terminal on the switch, the black wire to the R or Run terminal, then supplied 12 volt to the B (or Battery) terminal and it runs perfect.  Appreciate the advice.  

waynep71222 waynep71222
Posted: 11/12/12
10:53 PM

i am glad to have helped you through this wiper wonderland...

the pictures you posted really helped..

i wish the manuals explained it better.. but the they don't...

somebody with a pile of mid 50s to late 60s mopars should do an article or a book on the wiper wiring... so many changes..

i don't have access to the PILES of parts or the manuals that are needed to do the proper job..