new member! hello!!

Mopar Muscle
Item Posts    Sort Order

new member! hello!!

89blaster89 89blaster89
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 09/12
Posted: 09/26/12
04:16 PM

hi me and my grandpa just got 2 71 plymouth sattelites! and im excited to work on them, 1 of them just is for parts since it has no engine but good body panels and the other is all there, it ran great 20 years ago but hasent been started since, its been sitting outside for the last 20 years, im going to try to get it running again, what all should i do to try to start it again, i was thinking just oil change, new battery, put in new spark plugs and also what exactly is the points on it? what else should i do to start it and what all do i need to know about these cars? thanks  

waynep71222 waynep71222
User | Posts: 246 | Joined: 04/12
04:49 PM

welcome...

first thing....   does it turn....   do you have any tools yet... do you have a socket that will fit on the big bolt in the middle of the crank pulley...   do you have a breaker bar to put on it.. so you can slowly turn the crank ... to verify you have a motor that is NOT seized..  

the crank bolt socket is probably 1 1/4"  the reason to turn the engine several times is to verify that nothing is seized..

you will want to pull the distributer cap off..  make sure the rotor turns with the crank. but at half the speed.... and that when you rock the crank back and forth.. the outside of the harmonic damper does not move more than 5/8 of an inch.. before the rotor turns... if it takes more than that.. you may have to start with replacing the timing chain set..   if it the rotor does not turn at all... you may have a stripped cam sprocket.. where the nylon teeth have fallen off and the camshaft timing is now off..

read this on points adjusting...   you will have to copy and paste..

http://www.autozone.com:80/autozone/repairinfo/repairguide/repairGuideContent.jsp?pageId=0900c1528007f97b  

pepsi1 pepsi1
User | Posts: 150 | Joined: 10/11
07:15 PM

If you can turn the crank with a extension wrench theres a good chance with a good/new battery, and New gas, points and condensor, it will start. As long as the valves aren't stuck in the heads.... Good Luck to you and your Grandpa. It will be a nice project for you both.

Bob  

89blaster89 89blaster89
09:36 PM

ok that helped and anyone no what the points are supposed to be set at on this car? isint there something i can unhook so that i can just make it turn over but not start up, would running seafoam in the oil help clean this thing up also? should i just pour gas in the carb for the first start up?  

69_340_GTS 69_340_GTS
Enthusiast | Posts: 520 | Joined: 06/09
Posted: 09/27/12
07:58 AM

It'll never run with 20 year old gas in the tank. That needs to be completely cleaned out. Carburetor is probably a mess too, and will need rebuilding. Then, assuming the engine isn't seized up, it might run. These is no sense in messing with the ignition system as a first step. Points can sit 20 years with no damage, assuming it wasn't getting wet all this time.  

RBolig RBolig
Moderator | Posts: 948 | Joined: 12/03
Posted: 09/27/12
11:04 AM

89, welcome to the forum. You'll get a lot of information here as you can see.  
--------------------

Some people are like Slinkys; they're not very useful, but fun to watch when pushed down the stairs.

89blaster89 89blaster89
Posted: 09/28/12
03:31 PM

ok i just found out the carb is new on it, its a eldebrock that was recently intalled... and i will use new gas. should i put penatrent down the plug holes to free anything up? oh yea and another thing about me is my grandpa also has a 68 sattelite and a 72 challenger r/t for drag racing only though