67 fury instrument panel lights

Mopar Muscle
Item Posts    Sort Order

67 fury instrument panel lights

tbarnes440 tbarnes440
New User | Posts: 37 | Joined: 02/11
Posted: 10/03/12
05:09 PM

on a 67 fury, the instrument panel lights used to work but now they dont. the only fuse that keeps going out is the one for the cigarette lighter, is that the same as the instrument panel or is there a shorted out wire somewhere?  

waynep71222 waynep71222
User | Posts: 246 | Joined: 04/12
06:05 PM

looking at the wiring diagram...

the Panel light dimmer switch...  has 3 wires on it..

a Black wire from the headlight switch supplying power when the head lights are on..

a yellow wire that seems to be hooked up to the dome lights..

and a TAN wire that runs over to the far left fuse..  this is the panel lamps circuit...

from the far left fuse... the tan wire becomes an ORANGE wire and feeds all the panel illumination lamps...

can you use a test light on the 3rd from the left fuse...  as the panel lights dimmer control is worked up and down.. the voltage that fuse should change...

if you get NO voltage at that fuse...   is the panel dimmer switch plugged in... do the headlights and the parking lights work properly...

if you need more.. just post what you found... i will explain the circuits farther..

the yellow wire from the panel dimmer switch seems to be what gets grounded inside the switch to turn on the dome lights without opening the car door..
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

the cigar lighter fuse seems to be the 3rd one from the left..

the cigar lighter circuit also power the MAP light switch..  and the Glove box light...

can you check that neither one of those circuits is blown...  

tbarnes440 tbarnes440
New User | Posts: 37 | Joined: 02/11
06:35 PM

thanks for the wiring info, to break it down more, all the gauges work, i even have a tach installed, along with some after-market gauges (oil, voltage, temp) all work. The headlights, tail lights, brake lights, turn signals, dome lights all work as well, its just the gauge lights that dont work, including the tachometer so should i just check the TAN wire and also i dont know if im using the right fuse since everytime i replace the fuse for the cigarette lighter, it blows. Do u know the proper fuse type?  

waynep71222 waynep71222
08:15 PM

i don't know what the fuse size should be.. probably a 15 amp fuse..

does it blow a fuse with the LIGHTER out of the socket..??? yes or no...

if yes... unplug the red wire from the back of the lighter... does it blow the fuse YES or no..

if yes... find the  glove compartment lamp switch and socket..  unplug it..    does it blow the fuse?? yes or no....

if yes....

find the map light switch if equipped.. disconnect it...   does it blow the fuse.. yes or no..  

if yes... and all three items are unplugged..  then you have a short to ground someplace .. this requires more searching.

##################################

on the GAUGE LIGHTING...

on the 3rd fuse from the left...    when you turn the headlights on.. do you have power at that fuse...  yes or no...

if yes... does the voltage change when you move the panel dimmer knob left and right..

do you get voltage at both clips holding the fuse??? yes or no..  

waynep71222 waynep71222
08:28 PM

these are ALL on different CIRCUITS...

all the gauges work,
headlights,
tail lights,
brake lights,
turn signals,
dome lights all work as well

when you turn on the headlights.. the tail lights come on...  the terminal on the headlight switch marked R also powers the panel light dimmer switch.. just for the panel lights.. not for the dome..  R goes to the TAIL lights..  

on the Cigar lighter...  the red wire to the back center of the cigar lighter is power from the fuse...  

either at the back of the cigar lighter connector.. or just before it.. pink wire or wires come off to power the MAP light switch.. and the glove compartment light switch..    if the bulb is missing from either.. the center terminal touching the shield will blow the fuse..

if you increase the size of the fuse...  the only thing that should be drawing a lot of amps on that circuit should be the lighter itself..  and only when its PUSHED In.. unless its gone bad..

i have had on other model cars the inside of the cigar lighter socket melt and blow out the fuse again and again..   which is why i ask if you unplug the red wire from the back of the lighter.. does it still burn the fuse..???