1974 Charger

Mopar Muscle
Item Posts    Sort Order

1974 Charger

ramalamb214 ramalamb214
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 10/12
Posted: 10/01/12
06:39 AM

Hi, My names John and my older brother tom just purchased a 1974 charger and id like to know how a '78 440 would run 30 over with aerohead cast iron cylinder heads and a crossram intake manifold with 2 650 edelbrock avs carburators. i also want to fully port these heads and intake. but i havent decided on what cam i should go with yet.  Thank you for whatever help you might be able to give me  

drmopar drmopar
Guru | Posts: 1445 | Joined: 02/08
03:45 PM

Wow! 74 charger, last of the good ones.. 440 with 2 carbs & a crossram sounds like trouble if you ask me. Looks get a 10 out of 10. However driveability would probably be less than a 5.
Why? Simple, the crossram was designed for full fledged race motors with 12.5+ compression, race heads, big solid lift cams, 4.56 gears, 4 speeds or very high stall converters in a lightweight car. Not very practical in todays world of 91 unleaded fuel and a heavy 74 Charger.
As far as the aerohead cylinder heads go they are little more than a stock rebuild.
Stick to the basics and design a total package that will live on the street. If your not sure what to build, ask someone with experience. You will save yourself a lot of trouble, money and headaches in the end.
Good Luck Doc  

ramalamb214 ramalamb214
09:03 PM

yeah lol i know some great experienced mopar engine builders but i want a strictly buisness car lol. Those same mopar boys i know have a 1964 dodge polara with a 440 out to 512, max wedge heads and a crossram setup with 600 or 650 edelbrock carbs. got a mild cam in it tho.  NEEDS cal tracks lol.          Heres the same car.

http://www.1962to1965mopar.ornocar.com/mmo72008.html

There is also a youtube video.   labeled          Scotty's polara           I really dnt mind the fuel economy because itll be the toy. There isnt much traffic out here in the country so it wont carbon up or heat up. These are just some of my ideas but its my brothers car and hes got his own plans for it. And as for the aeroheads, i would plan send them off to hughs along with the intake to be fully ported   Laugh   so it wouldnt be just over stock. I heard that the areoheads fully ported will flow alot better than the old max wedge heads. But thanks for the wisdom and if i do built a 440 like i described id send ya pics lol. Big mopar fan huh?? What kinda mopars did you have???  

451Mopar 451Mopar
User | Posts: 220 | Joined: 07/10
Posted: 10/06/12
05:07 PM

I'm not sure what the goal is, but why buy Aeroheads, then send them off to have them ported?  I don't see any savings here?  You could just get ported heads direct or use an aftermarket head.  The dual carbs look cool, but that is alot more jets and power valves to change when tuning.
If you are building a 500+ stroker for power, I would start with a head that has the max wedge port size.  

ramalamb214 ramalamb214
Posted: 10/19/12
07:13 AM

Well i've personally seen what the old max wedge heads do on a 512 cube 440 and they flow fantastic. I think they said the guy before them put around 3k in the heads alone. BUT i keep hearing from different people that if u fully port the aeroheads they seem to flow much better than fully ported max wedges. Now that my brother wants to buy them and put em on lol, what are the best casting numbers?? We're not really looking for savings either.                 The guy who has the polara, him and his son are gonna go teach everybody out here that this is mopar country always has been and always will be lmao. just wanna help the cause  Laugh .  

drmopar drmopar
Guru | Posts: 1445 | Joined: 02/08
07:50 AM

Some say 906 are the best, personally I like the 452's fully done. They already come with hardened seats and I have used both in HP 440 applications with great sucess..  

IQ52 IQ52
Guru | Posts: 859 | Joined: 06/10
08:29 AM

You know, I thought about getting involved in this, but now it seems foolish.  

Garys69RR Garys69RR
User | Posts: 99 | Joined: 03/12
01:13 PM

Hi Ramalamb, I think you should buy a muscle car too! Then you can build it up and race your brothers Charger. Plus have 1 more old Mopar out there to beat up on Chevys and Fords! Just a thought. Good luck.  

747mopar7 747mopar7
User | Posts: 87 | Joined: 03/12
Posted: 10/20/12
10:38 PM

From what I've read the 906's are the best but the 452's aren't to far off, are more freindly to the amateur for porting and like he said already have hardened seats. I chose the 452's, ported them myself and had them flow tested with good results.  If I had it to do all over again I would have just bought the edelbrock performer rpm's. If you do buy the Aeroheads check them out really well, a freind bought some and had to regrind the valves and seats because they weren't seated properly. Good luck