TORSION BAR SLEEVE/LOWER CONTROL ARM BUSHINGS

Mopar Muscle
Item Posts    Sort Order

TORSION BAR SLEEVE/LOWER CONTROL ARM BUSHINGS

mopar.dude.ps mopar.dude.ps
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 12/11
Posted: 12/27/11
07:43 PM

I am rebuilding my suspension on my 73 duster 340.  Does anyone know if the tortion bar sleeve should have a slight bit of free play where it goes through the lower control arm eyelets.  I know for sure the bushing will have to be replaced.  However the bushing sits inside that torsion bar sleeve.  The tortion bar adjuster is tight on the sleeve.  But when I push the sleeve up tight against the control arm by hand I can get a little side to side play, less than an 1/8th inch.  Is that normal and will it tighten up once we get some tention on it?  

trailor96 trailor96
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 08/12
Posted: 08/06/12
12:56 PM

Were you getting a popping noise out of the front when stepping on the brake?  

waynep71222 waynep71222
User | Posts: 246 | Joined: 04/12
Posted: 08/08/12
08:08 PM

wow.. that post is several years old....

there are several good articles on the lower control arm and lower control arm bushing replacement in the archives..

http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/tipstricks/155_0306_control_arms/viewall.html

http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/techarticles/suspension/mopp_0306_replacing_front_suspensions_lower_control_arm_bushings/viewall.html

in looking at the addresses.. those might be the same article... hmm.  

waynep71222 waynep71222
User | Posts: 246 | Joined: 04/12
Posted: 08/08/12
08:11 PM

there is also a great comment on the upper link...

Community Comments
shepdog1  (07/07/11 10:36 PM)

I followed your procedure for the removal of the outer sleeve from the lca, I tack welded a washer to the top. did'nt work quite well. ended up doing the long process with the chisel I came up with a new strategy that worked absolutley fantastic on the second lca. I took a 5/8" bolt and dropped it down into the bushing..ran a nut down the bolt and then a few washers that would just fit inside the bushing to the nut. Secured this with another nut sandwiching the washers. Tack welded the washers to the inside of the sleeve about 1/2 way down inside the bushing being careful not to penetrate to the lca. took a punch from the torsion bar opening and 3 hits and out it came with no problem. But you definetly led me in the right direction. Thanks!

Please click through all the images as each one has some great instructions with it...  

Budnicks Budnicks
Guru | Posts: 1497 | Joined: 08/10
Posted: 08/09/12
11:55 AM

wayne, your always so helpfull, those are close to the same art., one was from 2003 & the other a reprint & update lots of photos from 2007... Thanks for bringing them up though... this was an old question/old thread from 12/2011  
"Fill Your Library Before You Fill Your Garage" Good Luck  "Budnicks"