Bump steer on 2001 dakota

Mopar Muscle
Item Posts    Sort Order

Bump steer on 2001 dakota

blountco blountco
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 06/12
Posted: 06/19/12
05:52 PM

Having a problem with bump steer on a 2001 2 wheel drive Dakota I have replaced all ball joints and put on new shocks it helped some but I still have some bump steer can anybody offer and suggestions  

waynep71222 waynep71222
User | Posts: 246 | Joined: 04/12
Posted: 06/19/12
07:39 PM

measure the length of the tie rod assemblies..

if they are NOT equally threaded into to the tie rod ends..  you will have BUMP steer..

i had a friend who had his steering rack replaced.. but the car would NOT turn left sharp enough to make it in his driveway... from the far side of the street without a 3 point turn..

when i unthreaded the tie rod ends.. one was only in 5 turns.. the other was in 40 or 50 turns..

outer tie rod end..

inner tie rod end.   you cannot see the inner end as its hidden by the boot..

also .. how are the shocks...   if one is worn out. or lacking enough oil..  it could duplicate bump steer as there is reduced damping on that corner of the truck...

you could also have an issue with the rear end not properly tracking ..

drive straight through a puddle...   get out and see the tire prints.. do the rears follow the fronts perfectly.??? when you observe the wet tire prints on the dry roadbed..  

please.. try not to get run over..  

blountco blountco
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 06/12
Posted: 06/24/12
09:10 PM

I did replace the front shocks and the sway bar end links when I replaced the ball joints. thanks for the info on the tie rods I will check that out as well