leaking 727

Mopar Muscle
Item Posts    Sort Order

leaking 727

missingbuttons missingbuttons
New User | Posts: 16 | Joined: 03/12
Posted: 03/28/12
06:25 PM

Will anything happen if I turn a 727, fully assembled, upside down while installing the pan?  I have heard some valve bodies will lose parts if inverted while removed.  I don't think it would be a problem with only the pan removed.  

dwayne0 dwayne0
New User | Posts: 34 | Joined: 03/12
Posted: 03/29/12
04:44 PM

i turned mine upside down going into the ditch and it still worked fine after right side upping again.on a serious note it will be fine.ive done it with no probs for installing shift kits into more than one.  
dwayne venton

missingbuttons missingbuttons
New User | Posts: 16 | Joined: 03/12
Posted: 03/30/12
04:45 PM

Thanks I have 2 that I cannot get to stop leaking.  Next step is to pull out and look for more than the obvious problems, pan, output shaft.  

waynep7122 waynep7122
Enthusiast | Posts: 643 | Joined: 08/09
Posted: 03/30/12
05:34 PM

missing .,..

identify where its leaking from....

leaking around the bottom of the bell housings..    

could be..
leaking torque converter...  bad weld.. cracked converter hub,  leaking torque converter seal.. leaking front pump...    and a rare one.. broken spring in the valve body or pump that controls the converter fill.  this would /could cause the converter to NOT fill.. and the fluid level inside the transmission to be HIGH sometimes... where it will get whipped into a froth and blown out the vent on the front pump..

around the shift linkage on the drivers side of the transmission..   there is a manual level /shift shaft seal pressed into the top of the case where the shift shaft sticks through...

inside of the outer shift shaft is the throttle shaft.. there is an Oring on the top of the shaft sealing that shaft to the outer shaft..      

on the passenger side of the transmission.. you could have a leaking Oring on the dip stick tube..  or even a cracked dip stick tube.. where the factory rolled the groove in the steel tube for the oring to seat in..  this makes the metal fairly thin in that area.. its really easy to crack it when wiggling the dip stick tube around.. sometimes when the dip stick tube does not get removed it will put a hairline crack at the oring groove..

near the cooler lines..   once in a great while.. somebody will mess up and over tighten the fittings into the side of the case and crack the case..   sometimes they have cross threaded the flair fitting cap.. but its really really hard to do.. i have only seen it done twice in 30 years..   i have seen the lines at the transmission twisted into a candy cane..  this restricts the flow that cools the sprag in the back of the case and the rear case support bearing.. wiping out the transmission in short order..

moving farther back..   the gasket on the back of the case...  rarely leaks..  but anything is possible..  

under the transmission mount is a small plate with 2 screws..  should have a gasket on it.. that is the access for the rear bearing snap ring..

lastly..   while you are under the car.. with the rear wheels in the air..    grab the yoke at the back of the transmission.. if there is NOT any preload by the wheels on the ground or the parking brakes on..   if you lift up on the yoke..  then pull down..  you should have ALMOST no play..  where the output shaft bushing might be worn.. causing the seal to dribble.  

gforcecharger gforcecharger
New User | Posts: 5 | Joined: 03/12
Posted: 11/14/12
03:57 AM

it could be torque conv seal