Mopar Muscle
1 |  2 |  Next   | Last 
Item Posts    Sort Order

distributor drive gear timing

missingbuttons missingbuttons
New User | Posts: 16 | Joined: 03/12
Posted: 04/22/12
02:15 PM

On a 360 does it matter if the distributor drive gear is timed correctly.  On my 75 360 the distributor rotor is pointing towards the drivers seat, with number one cylinder at TDC.  My haynes manual says that the rotor, and by definition the slot in the drive gear, should be pointed at number one cylinder.  My question is does it make a difference, or should I just put the plug wires on the correct post and carry on?  I am going to sit here and crunch some numbers (trig was not my specialty).  As always I would appreciate some help from the gurus.  

pepsi1 pepsi1
User | Posts: 150 | Joined: 10/11
02:55 PM

thats ok the way it is it may not be correct as the owners manuals show it..But any time that engine starts it doen't care if you rotor is straight ahead upside down whatever. Thats just showing you that its only 180* off, if it runs Ok and you can time it don't worry about it. When your rotor points to #1 cylinder as long as you install #1 spark plug ther and follow the firing order...it may not be correct so if you want to redo it go ahead.

Bob  

missingbuttons missingbuttons
New User | Posts: 16 | Joined: 03/12
03:35 PM

Well it was really easy to reach down with a hooked scribe and pull it up so it is now positioned properly.  

pepsi1 pepsi1
User | Posts: 150 | Joined: 10/11
09:57 PM

Glad to hear you made out ok...Yeah your distributor was just 180* out. But your timing and firing order were just fine...

I did that on my sons engine it was a 350 Small block chevy...Yeah most guys relate the #1 spark plug as pointing to the left front headlight drivers side..When I set his up it was just the opposite, facing the right front headlight...He didn't think it would fire up..When it did on the first crank he was shaking his head,,As long as you follow the firing order the rotor cap can point at the moon, you know it's still that way and we did that engine in 1997 for his 1986 Mont Carlo SS. He did put a Ford 9" in the rear,, It's as strong today as it was then...Just a little Didi...Good Luck!

Bob  

waynep71222 waynep71222
User | Posts: 246 | Joined: 04/12
Posted: 04/23/12
08:26 AM

perhaps this will clarify the issue...   this is with the #1 piston at TDC ...

0900C1528007fac8  

jswope jswope
New User | Posts: 27 | Joined: 09/09
Posted: 12/06/13
02:26 AM

Is there an easy way to get the dist drive gear out other than using a large screwdriver, mine will not seem to twist out.  

wayne712222 wayne712222
User | Posts: 121 | Joined: 10/13
Posted: 12/07/13
09:24 AM

i use a stiff wire with an L shape to it.. usually as i turn it with a screw driver..

it will twist as it lifts.. as the gear teeth slide past each other.. this is normal and expected..

there is a LOT of varnish build up on the shafts that will resist lifting them out..

don't forget its slipped into the oil pump about 3/4" also.

is your intermediate shaft bushing worn??? and you need to replace it??

if you are replacing the intermediate shaft.. be sure that the shaft just under the gear.. is polished.. i have run into a few new ones that i hope are all gone from the parts supply that had a finish like 80 grit sand paper on the top of the shaft where it rides in the bushing..  that eats out the bushing and the gear wobbles and wipes out the distributor bushings..  

wayne712222 wayne712222
User | Posts: 121 | Joined: 10/13
09:25 AM

i use a stiff wire with an L shape to it.. usually as i turn it with a screw driver..

it will twist as it lifts.. as the gear teeth slide past each other.. this is normal and expected..

there is a LOT of varnish build up on the shafts that will resist lifting them out..

if you are replacing the intermediate shaft.. be sure that the shaft just under the gear.. is polished.. i have run into a few new ones that i hope are all gone from the parts supply that had a finish like 80 grit sand paper on the top of the shaft where it rides in the bushing..  that eats out the bushing and the gear wobbles and wipes out the distributor bushings..  

69_340_GTS 69_340_GTS
Enthusiast | Posts: 528 | Joined: 06/09
08:07 PM

As long as the rotor is pointing at the #1 wire when the engine is at #1 TDC, the gear position is immaterial.  

69_340_GTS 69_340_GTS
08:07 PM

As long as the rotor is pointing at the #1 wire when the engine is at #1 TDC, the gear position is immaterial.  

jswope jswope
Posted: 12/09/13
11:27 AM

Not when you have a different cam in it with a different TDC 0 postion  

jswope jswope
11:43 AM

I have a new TDC zero mark due to an upgraded cam. Hopefully the shaft bushing is good, replaced the oil pump.  

jswope jswope
12:51 PM

Icon Quotewayne712222:

good to know, thanks  

69_340_GTS 69_340_GTS
Posted: 12/10/13
12:25 PM

Your cam doesn't determine TDC.

Believe me, as long as the rotor points at the #1 plug wire when the #1 piston is at TDC of the compression stroke, everything will be fine.

Yes that diagram is correct, but it isn't absolutely necessary to align the shaft & distributor that way.  

jswope jswope
Posted: 12/22/13
05:16 PM

You are telling me its fine, Summit racing is telling me I have to move it. Who's right? I moved the plug wires CC, 1 space, 2 spaces, now on to 3 spaces after I get more gas. 1 and 2 spaces didn't run well, smokes and bucks, I can tell the difference between what this new cam should sound like and bucking from out of time. Yes I did compensate for the new Zero mark as well.  

1 |  2 |  Next   | Last