Hubcap for 1967 Valiant

Mopar Muscle
Item Posts    Sort Order

Hubcap for 1967 Valiant

Meta Meta
New User | Posts: 40 | Joined: 08/08
Posted: 12/08/10
07:00 PM

Last night I discovered that somewhere, sometime, I had lost a hubcap. I've looked online and it seems that you can't find a replacement for under $75. As I've mentioned before, I am disabled and so am on a very limited income. But this is quite a nice car - still in remarkable condition for its age - and I'd like to keep it all original looking and since the people here have been wonderfully helpful [especially heyoldguy, who saved me a bundle of money by giving me a drum and hub earlier this year] I am hoping someone can point me to a place that might have the hubcap for less than $75.  

IQ52 IQ52
Guru | Posts: 857 | Joined: 06/10
Posted: 12/08/10
07:20 PM

Meta! Nice to hear from you again! We'll see what we can find!

Oh, hey, what size wheel?  

68440Barry 68440Barry
User | Posts: 91 | Joined: 04/09
Posted: 12/09/10
12:16 PM

Full wheel cover or just small hubcap? 13" or 14" wheel? Can you post a picture of it? Barry  
RACE CARS - NOT GREYHOUNDS

Meta Meta
Posted: 12/09/10
04:46 PM

My bad. It's a 13" cap [well, it measures 13" across...]. Sorry for the large picture size, I don't know how to size them.

Hubcap  

68440Barry 68440Barry
User | Posts: 91 | Joined: 04/09
Posted: 12/10/10
11:31 AM

Gambacorta Used Cars in New Castle, De. had 3 or 4 of these when they sold their C-J franchise mid-2008. I was the parts manager there and unless they through them out ( which I doubt ) they are still there with some other used wheel covers next to the moulding rack. Ask for Anthony Sr. ( or Jr. if Sr not there ) and tell them what I said and where they are. Hopefully they will take care of you. I do not know their present phone number, but if you call information, you want the Gambacorta used car lot at 7th & Gray St. in New Castle,De. ( there's 2 lots / different bros. ) Barry  
RACE CARS - NOT GREYHOUNDS

Meta Meta
Posted: 12/10/10
06:30 PM

Coolness, thanks. I will give a call tomorrow.  

Meta Meta
Posted: 12/16/10
09:07 PM

I found the right number but never was able to speak with anyone; I left a couple of messages though.

But I got lucky, I actually found the right one on eBay - he had three and I got one of them. It was $35 with $10 shipping - though I did have to pay $4.49 or so for tax since the guy lives in my state. Still, it looks to be in good enough shape to match my remaining three and was still a minimum of $25 cheaper than the other places I found.... Good thing it happened about now, as I told my parents I wanted that for Xmas.

Once again I appreciate all the help I have received here.  

Meta Meta
Posted: 11/15/11
04:54 PM

Here's an update - and I just had to share this because of the good fortune I had in the end:

I ended up buying a hubcap in decent condition from eBay for $75 - plus $15 for S&H. Two months ago I had new tires put on my car and on the way home a  hubcap flew off [though I didn't realize what the sound was until I got home]. I went back but couldn't find it.

I went back to the tire place and told them about it and to their credit [America's Tire *** They deserve the shout here...] they said they would replace it. About a month ago another one came off. But that one was on a rural road and I knew right away what had happened. So I know where it is, within about 1/4 mile. Since it IS a rural road, I knew I wouldn't have to worry about someone walking by and finding it and taking it. But the downside of being a rural road is that it was full of vegetation - mostly blackberry plants. I just figured I would just have to wait for the plants to go to seed and then it should be easier to find.

Mean time [and this is where the great luck comes in] last week I decided to call the tire shop to see if they had had any luck. Turns out that they had and it had arrived only a few days ago [they told me their supplier told them they were lucky to find one]. I don't know what made me think to try it, but I decided to go to eBay and see if there was perhaps another hubcap. I hit the jackpot: Someone was selling a set of 4 of my hubcaps... And he was only asking $19.95!! Plus $15 for S&H of course. They just arrived today. Knowing I now have a couple of spares is quite comforting, especially given the number of times I've lost a hubcap so far.

Which now makes me think to ask: Is there anything I can do to keep them on the wheel better?  

waynep7122 waynep7122
Enthusiast | Posts: 643 | Joined: 08/09
Posted: 11/16/11
10:05 AM

duck bill pliers.. to gently and carefully and slightly.. bend the latching fingers to create more grip on the wheel...  you have your choice of duckbill pliers or flat nose pliers..

i have used a layer of duct tape on the wheel rim ... so the hub caps are bedded in something other than slick metal..   the layer of duct tape also reduces the size of the opening.. so the cap fits tighter..

i have also had friends.. change to solid metal valve stems...   using metal valve stem caps to hold a washer down around the stem hole in the cap..

i have thought about using the 1 inch wide version of aluminum foil duct tape.. to apply to the wheel to reduce the size and give a nice soft place for the cap teeth to grip..  i have usually only had the 2 inch wide stuff laying around the shop..

one guy i know did not want any of that stuff..
he actually got somebody to throw his wheel on a brake drum lathe..  and had a tiny shallow groove added to help with the hub cap being seated.. i warned that this would weaken the wheel.. giving it a fracture/fatigue point..

in thinking about this... before i finish... you also have the option.. of  cleaning the wheel surface.. setting it up so one wheel at a time can be spun freely..   and smearing on a thin layer of either epoxy or possibly even better.. some of the dynotron #660 urethane bumper repair kit material..  properly mixed evenly..  it will become flexible and tough.. might be just the right thing for the caps to grip the wheel tighter with..  i am not trying to get you to glue them on..   installing after you have let it cure for a few days..

the shop i worked at glued all kinds of stuff back together with that stuff.   i used it to fill hollow motor mounts.. to make them solid..  i got tired of changing the same torque strut on a sable that the owner would abuse.  i have several people with hondas that have used it to make their factory mounts solid..  it is the proper stuff to repair black enduro bumper tears and missing chunks..

i know.... use a PAINT marker on the inside of the hub cap..   if found  This is Not a UFO.  Reward if Returned to Prince Valiant..tel 212 555 5555...  

69_340_GTS 69_340_GTS
Enthusiast | Posts: 528 | Joined: 06/09
Posted: 11/16/11
10:12 AM

How about velcro?  

Meta Meta
Posted: 11/17/11
08:32 PM

I don't think velco would quite work...

Wayne, all great ideas - I especially like the 'If found..' idea. I'll let you know which I used.