Swapping a 318 for 360 in a 1996 1500 2wd not running properly

Mopar Muscle
Item Posts    Sort Order

Swapping a 318 for 360 in a 1996 1500 2wd not running properly

notta_mech notta_mech
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 09/11
Posted: 09/12/11
10:20 PM

OK my first post so I hope I can give enough info for someone to be able to help. My friends 318 in his 1996 1500 locked up. So he bought a used 1996 1500 with a 360 in it and a bad transmission. Both are 2wd one bad engine one bad transmission. So here we start. We swapped over the 360 engine into the truck that had the 318.Everything went well and we even got the 360 to turn over and start but it will not stay running at idle we have to keep feathering the throttle to keep the engine running. The only change that was made was to the intake due to a sensor on the front of the 360 had 2 sensors and would not match up with the wiring harness on the truck that had a 318. The 318 intake only had one sensor position this sensor was located one the front of the intake. The intakes lined up perfectly as far as size and bolt pattern. We used the fuel rails and injectors off of the 360 and put them into the 318 intake.

Question #1 We did not change out the computer or wiring harness does the 360 have to use the original computer and harness from the old truck to run properly?

Question #2 Will the 360 block work with the 318 intake, and 360 fuel rails?

Question #3 We tried to adjust the timing by turning the distributor cap but could not get rid of any of the problems. Do we have to disconnect the computer from the sytem in order to tune it with a timing light and the distributor cap.

I hope I have explained the situation and the circumstances well enough to start a topic any and all help from someone who knows more than we do will be greatly appreciated.

Oh and 1 more thing we replaced the balanced fly wheel off of the 360 and put in the 318 so it would not be out of balance or a a harmonics or vibration problems so we used the 318 sensor on this part as well.

Summary

Block 360
intake 318
fuel rail and injectors 360
computer 318
wiring harness 318
flywheel 318  

Budnicks Budnicks
Guru | Posts: 1497 | Joined: 08/10
Posted: 09/13/11
01:25 AM

First off welcome to the MMM forum, I think the biggest issue is the computer remove the computer from the other truck & install it, there is enough difference between the 2 engines to effect the timing & ignition all computer controlled, I'm not sure about the difference between fuel rails or intakes they should interchange, the injectors should be larger volume not in actual size in the 360, I do believe... If it's a manual trans you need the 360 flywheel, if it's a auto you need the 360 Torque converter, it's counter weighted for external balance, the 318 is internal balance... I would highly suggest by a "1996 Dodge Ram Factory Service Manual" for the specific year make & model, it will have a ton of info to help with the tuning, it's well worth the cash to have the information a hand... Good luck, Happy Moparing, Keep on trucken'  
"Fill Your Library Before You Fill Your Garage" Good Luck  "Budnicks"

notta_mech notta_mech
03:03 AM

Thank You for the quick response. I will start changing out the computer and wiring later today. But before I go that far do you think that I should try the fuel rails and injectors off of the 318 or just leave the 360 rails and injectors in the engine for now. As far as the trans would the balance and harmonics show when we start the engine or only show when the vehicle starts getting driven. The reason I ask is the engine did fire and we did not have any major shaking so we hoped since we used the 318 trans we should stick with the 318 flywheel. So is the 360 engine balanced by the counter weight or is the fly wheel counter balanced for the transmission and when does the vibrations show? Thanks again!!!!  

74_Duster_318 74_Duster_318
New User | Posts: 7 | Joined: 11/10
12:28 PM

notta_mech,

Welcome to MMM, the problem you have with your timing cannot be solved only by adjusting your distributer cap. There should be a sensor somewhere on the timing cover that works off of a wheel connected to your crank under that cover. I believe it has to be timed off the computer and adjusted accordingly.  

notta_mech notta_mech
07:25 PM

OK changed the computer. running better but i need the factory default setting for the timing. The distributor was moved and i need to reset it to factory settings. I am using a snap-on engine scanner and it shows that it is set at about 18%