replacement magnum heads 2001 truck

Mopar Muscle
Item Posts    Sort Order

replacement magnum heads 2001 truck

headachemagnum01 headachemagnum01
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 04/11
Posted: 04/10/11
10:32 AM

I have a 2001 1500 4x4 360 with 160,000 miles stock. The head gaskets went and the heads are cracked. So I want some input on aftermarket cast iron performance heads fully assembelled, using stock valve train. I was worried about my fuel injection system bolting up and working properly. I am also interested in the computer being reworked. Price is a factor I have priced the cheapos and the local shop re builds  dealer replacments for 552 a piece, and looked at a few new heads and I notice Indy Head has a set of heads for $1000 dollars or so from what i saw on their e site. I have not called them yet.
Would these be a good choice?
What would be a good choice?
Which headers?
Trying to stay emissions legal, but not imp.
Need more power to pull trailer up mtn!!  

Budnicks Budnicks
Guru | Posts: 1497 | Joined: 08/10
Posted: 04/10/11
11:14 AM

headachemagnum  1st off welcome to the MMM forum. There is a good bolt on no mods performance R/T Cast Iron Cylinder head with 1.92"int. valve & 1.625"exh. valve from Mopar Performance *P5007145, that is a complete head assembly, valves, springs, seals & reainers included. When you buy heads for the Magnum engine make sur you can use your stock rockers, pushrods, valve covers & intake or you will incure a bunch more cost, some of the aftermarket stuff you need to change all those things just listed. In addition. There are some bolt-ons you can perform to pick up some HP/TQ.  1st- a Hypertech programer $400,  2nd- Edelbrock shorty headers $200-$400,  3rd- Flowmaster catback exhaust system $150-$250,  4th Oppt.(I don't know if you will want this upgrade if you plan on doing a bunch of long haul pulling) -1.7:1- ratio roller rockers $375 w/5/16 bolts & stands bolt-on Harlen Sharps,   5th-AEM air box & intake tube, with 1/2" Throttlebody spacer $150. I did all of these on my 99 Dakota 4x4 5.2ltr Magnum auto, I live in the Calif.Seirra's & these upgrades helped tremendously. All mods have a C.A.R.B. smog approval. I felt the bigest seat of the pants differance with the rockers & headers/catback, The truck pulls the hills way better. I got some parts from Mancini Racing & some from Summit Racing. Good luck with you build. Don't get disscouraged just do your reasurch & spend wiesly.   Budnicks                                          EDITED 4/13/11  the R/T cast iron Mopar perfromance heads mentioned above are fully assembled, S/S valves, perf.springs, retainers, locks, seals & guides.     The same head is available as "BARE" no components for $459.95 each Mancini Racing. I just wanted to make that clear.    Budnicks  
"Fill Your Library Before You Fill Your Garage" Good Luck  "Budnicks"

Posted: 04/13/11
10:22 PM

I have priced the p5007145 mopar head at $800 a piece. The RHS-Indy head at $320 apiece bare and $1000 for a pair assembled (indy's web site listed the LA/X). So Im inclined to try the RHS heads after reading about them here ,I also read about the mopar r/t heads which i like but they are nearly twice as much from what the computer tells me. Indy also offers upgrades like 2.02 valves for $100 and porting options, which I might be intereated in.   Any advice??
I talked to a engineer at Bouchillon Performance Engineering, which I learned alot from .They also have a cylinder head at $330 bare casting I wish I new more about it. He talked alot about sending him my computer and that would make a world of differance, $550.   Is this a good option to upgrade the computer?? Whats the difference between my computer being re-programmed or buying a hypertech deal??
Im concerned about my truck running right after all these upgrades !! I might have to get smoogteest.
Need more info.  

Budnicks Budnicks
Posted: 04/13/11
11:03 PM

The good thing about the Hypertech programer is you can allways go back to stock tune for smog checks. If you get the computer refashed/reprogramed that's what you stuck with no going back for stock tune. Are you sure those R/T heads aren't $800 for a pair assembled, not each. That sounds high to me. The LA-X heads are for 68-89 LA version heads not "Magnum Heads" you will need to buy all new valvetrain components & special rockers & pushrods that get the oil from the pushrods to the rockers like "Magnum engines" not thru the shaft like pre 92 non-magnum or 68-89 heads "LA style" get oil thru the block to the shafts not the pushrods. From what I've read the Indy LA-X heads are $975 a pair (Assembled I think) at Mancini Racing (800-843-2821) & they will price match I believe, not sure. I realy dont know much about the RHS heads, your on your own on those I would be just guessing what the story is on those. Just make sure you get what will work with your "5.9ltr MAGNUM ENGINE" it's not a "LA ENGINE" there deffently is a differance, be sure what valvetrain, rockers, pushrods, valve covers & oil system are compatible or buy a complete kit form "That won't be cheap", I'm not familure with the Bouchillon Perf. Eng., I will check both of them (BPE & RHS)out tonight & get back to you, on them.   Budnicks  

Budnicks Budnicks
Posted: 04/14/11
12:04 AM

Icon QuoteBudnicks:
The good thing about the Hypertech programer is you can allways go back to stock tune for smog checks.   If you get the computer refashed/reprogramed that's what you stuck with no going back for stock tune, unless you remove send back & have retuned again back to stock.   The $350 from -Summit Racing- for the -Hypertech- is a good deal, & you can also recalibrate, tire size, rpm limits & more. Are you sure those R/T heads aren't $800+ for a pair bare, not each.  $800 each That sounds realy high to me.   The LA-X heads are for 68-89 LA version heads not "Magnum Heads" you will need to buy all new valvetrain components & special rockers & pushrods that get the oil from the pushrods to the rockers like "Magnum engines" not thru the shaft like pre 92 non-magnum or 68-89 heads "LA style" get oil thru the block to the shafts not the pushrods.   From what I've read the Indy LA-X heads are $975 a pair (Assembled I think) at Mancini Racing (800-843-2821) & they will price match I believe, not sure.   I realy dont know much about the RHS heads, your on your own on those I would be just guessing what the story is on those.   Just make sure you get what will work with your "5.9ltr MAGNUM ENGINE" it's not a "LA ENGINE" there deffently is a differance, be sure what valvetrain, rockers, pushrods, valve covers & oil system are compatible or buy a complete kit form "That won't be cheap", I'm not familure with the Bouchillon Perf. Eng.,  I will check both of them (BPE & RHS) out tonight & get back to you, on them.   Budnicks

OK I checked into all three designs,         -1. *The R/T magnum cast iron is $459.95 each from Mancini Racing & will use all stock "Magnum" parts 1.92" versions Stock exhaust, intake, valve covers, rockers & pushrods fit.           -2. *RHS & INDY did a head design together the LA-X is for use with "LA" ("NOT" Magnum components), dual exhaust pattern, intake, rockers & shafts, pushrods, valve covers for 91 & earlier engines.          -3. *The MA-X head is the "RHS/INDY head you would need" includes dual pattern exaust & all stock "Magnum", intake, rockers, pushrods & valve covers fit.            -4. *The heads that were $352 from Bouchillon P.E. are -Mopar heads- but they are the stock replacement updated cast iron heads "NOT" the "R/T performance" heads.         I learned something new also, I didn't know RHS/Racing Head Sevives & INDY, cooperated on Cylinder head designs. Good luck I hope this helps, I spent alot of time on it, for my own benifit also.      Budnicks  

Budnicks Budnicks
Posted: 04/14/11
12:27 AM

Icon Quoteheadachemagnum01:
I have a 2001 1500 4x4 360 with 160,000 miles stock. The head gaskets went and the heads are cracked. So I want some input on aftermarket cast iron performance heads fully assembelled, using stock valve train. I was worried about my fuel injection system bolting up and working properly. I am also interested in the computer being reworked. Price is a factor I have priced the cheapos and the local shop re builds  dealer replacments for 552 a piece, and looked at a few new heads and I notice Indy Head has a set of heads for $1000 dollars or so from what i saw on their e site. I have not called them yet.
Would these be a good choice?
What would be a good choice?
Which headers?
Trying to stay emissions legal, but not imp.
Need more power to pull trailer up mtn!!

I would suggest you rebuild the comlpete engine, not just replace the heads, because it has "- 1 6 0 , 0 0 0 - M I L E S" on it.  I'm just thinken.     Budnicks  

Posted: 04/15/11
07:39 PM

I ordered the 360 MA/X heads from Indy they come assembelled pair $975 shipping $110 they will be here in a week. Summit offers the rhs head bare so Im gonna get with them on a set of headers ,there again to many choices.I hate not being able to touch it before i buy it.
Still shopping for the right computer programmer. Superchip or hypertech?
I dont want to rebuild my lower end yet.. It will be fine for 2 or 3 more years. I try not to drive it alot. I bike (1200 bandit) and I bug (66 baja bug stocker)oh yeah I got a 92 dodge high speed derby work truck with a fresh '68 383 727 married 205 dana 60 front & rear rebel flag on the hood. I want to put my parts under a '57 apache with 35" wide wide tires.
But any way Im going to buy a new tranny for the '01 first. The band that grabs a big drum is shot metal to metal. It cuases my engine to over rev. Im looking around El Cajon Ca for a good deal.
I just started spending money and It looks like im gonna put $4000 into this truck! I like my truck. I'll get a short block after i pay off the credit card hence the 2 or 3 years.
So as things progress ill update maybe take a picture.
Still looking at air intake systems wow what a bunch of over priced junk. Oh well got to have it. Probably o2 sensors all so. Any mechanic tips before i tear into it?

Air system $350
Computer upgrade $350
headers $250
working ten hours aday priceless.