swapping a 741 dana sure grip into a my open 489 8 3/4

Mopar Muscle
Item Posts    Sort Order

swapping a 741 dana sure grip into a my open 489 8 3/4

69underpar 69underpar
New User | Posts: 12 | Joined: 05/10
Posted: 11/23/10
04:18 PM

I am looking for a heads up from anyone who had done this switch over before, as this will be a first for me. I have a 69 b body roadrunner that has a 489 open rear end.. I have purchased a 1965 rebuilable clutch type sure grip power lock out of a 741 .. I will be keeping my 3.23S... can this swap be accomplished as simply as installing my ring gear and my 489 bearings onto this sure grip unit??? and also without disturbing the pinion??  

Cudadon Cudadon
User | Posts: 202 | Joined: 02/08
05:03 PM

No problem.  Any 8-3/4 sure grip can be put in any 8-3/4 rear.  I do it all the time.  You just need to make sure you have the correct side bearings for the unit.  The outside diameter is the same for all.  The inside diameter of the side bearings differ.  There are two different sizes.  The ring gear from any rear (741 742 or 489) will bolt onto any sure grip (cone or clutch type).
Check this web-site  http://www.planethoustonamx.com/main/chrysler_8_34_rearends.htm

Don  

IQ52 IQ52
Guru | Posts: 858 | Joined: 06/10
05:27 PM

Yep, Cudadon is correct. You will have to use the bearings and races from the 741 or purchase 741 races and bearings and the 741 suregrip will then bolt into the 489 housing. Leave the pinion alone, set the backlash and you should be good to go. Note the backlash on the 489 before you disassemble it and remove the ring gear. If it is within tolerances, try to set the same  backlash on the 741 suregrip when you install it.  

69underpar 69underpar
09:03 PM

Don,
Thanks, the link was very helpfull.. from what you have stated and from what I have read from the link.. I can use the ring gear I'm currently running without any problem : )
before reading this... I was thinking I needed to use the bearings from my open 489 unit and swith them onto the suregrip..

but I think what this is saying is to install the same bearings and that came with this 741 clutch type unit and bearing cone.. in order to use it in my 489 carrier..does this sound right now???  

69underpar 69underpar
09:43 PM

IQ52,
OK thanks much...I guess I should have looked up to see if there was another post before bugging don again, but I didnt... Your post answered my next question about which bearings.. thanks..!!  
I will get the correct bearings now on the first try : )).. this sure grip unit I bought did come with bearings but they have been used and there were no races..so I will replace get both  new bearings and races .. this is good to know for sure thanks!! ... Also thanks for the heads up on checking backlash before removal..This is a great rear end just no traction.. Backlash must be set pretty close right now as it makes very little if any noise at all.. I will definitely try to set it the same.. Thanks again..