440 Oil Pick Up

Mopar Muscle
Item Posts    Sort Order

440 Oil Pick Up

BAD_6PK BAD_6PK
New User | Posts: 40 | Joined: 01/11
Posted: 01/28/11
09:25 PM

ok, put my oil pick up in (all the way), put the pan on and the pickup is right on the bottom of the pan. I don't have a means to heat it up and bend it. Was thinking of cutting off a 3/8" length of threads but... when I went to find a die at the hardware store they could not figure out the proper threads for it.

Does anyone know what the threads are on the oil pickup or can offer another suggestion to getting 1/4" to 1/2" clearance?  

BAD_6PK BAD_6PK
Posted: 01/28/11
11:08 PM

Also I just received the original shop manual that I purchased for my 70 baracuda. It says that the pick up should touch the bottom of the pan? Melling oil pump installation instructions says this would void the warranty. I have been told at least an 1/8 to 1/2 inch is the proper clearance, any thoughts?  

jessearias jessearias
User | Posts: 54 | Joined: 10/09
Posted: 01/29/11
02:11 AM

The pick up should be threaded to 1/2 inch NPT (national pipe thread). So, you can use a 1/2 inch NPT die to re-cut your threads. I ran into a problem on a Milodon pick up where they did not cut the taper into the threads and I could not get it threaded into the pump body. Pipe threads are always tapered so they can start easily and tighten into the female threads to make a seal. I had to go buy a die and re-cut the threads so, I could thread it into the pump body. I also had to heat it and bend it slightly to clear the pan. So, I feel your pain. Frown

Pick up should be 1/4-1/2 inch off the floor of the pan for best results.  
Jesse

IQ52 IQ52
Guru | Posts: 857 | Joined: 06/10
07:57 AM

There are two sizes of oil pickups for the big blocks. The hemi pickup is 1/2" NPT and the more common, used on the wedges 350ci-440ci, is 3/8" NPT. If you raise the pickup a full 1/2" off the bottom of the pan you will be sacrificing, as Budnicks has previously pointed out, a large volume of your oil reserve.

The new pickup you just bought, is it the stock style? The stock style pickup is designed to just touch the bottom of the pan and 1/8" clearance is plenty.

If it is other than the stock style and has a flat opening that would be blocked off if touching the pan, you may have to raise it as much as 1/4" inch or whatever the pickup manufacture recommends.

You can bend the pickup slightly, without heat, if you slide two long box wrenches over the pickup tube and use them as opposing levers to bend the tube. If you must use heat to bend the tube, try to heat it in a spot that you can get a small round brush into the tube to scrape out the oxidized metal flakes that will form in the tube during the heating proces.  

BAD_6PK BAD_6PK
01:46 PM

ok, I had taken the oil drain plug out and the pick up has a center seam, from there to the bottom of the pick up is about a 1/4" and that point lines up with the bottom of the drain plug hole. So it seems that I am on the bottom.

The pick up that I bought is a Melling stock pick up.

I am going to try one more trip to the hardware store to see if they have a proper die. I can almost put on a 5/8" fine threaded nut on the OD of the pickup so would I be correct that I have a 1/2" pickup?  

IQ52 IQ52
Guru | Posts: 857 | Joined: 06/10
02:02 PM

Nope, that is the 3/8" pickup. The threads on the 1/2" pickup are about 13/16" across at the end and the 3/8" pickup is 5/8" across the end. The 3/8 & 1/2 is an inside dimension.  

BAD_6PK BAD_6PK
03:18 PM

Ok thanks, heading to the hardware store now and will advise how is goes.  

69_340_GTS 69_340_GTS
Enthusiast | Posts: 531 | Joined: 06/09
Posted: 01/30/11
01:05 AM

The correct die is going to be either a 3/8-18-NPT or a 1/2-14NPT. This is a National Pipe Thread, used all over the place in the plumbing industry. Nothing really special about it, but I don't think a hardware store will have the die. An unthreaded 3/8" pipe measures .675" OD, a 1/2" pipe measures .840" OD. By the way, IQ52, the ID of these pipes vary according to wall thickness, or schedule.  

BAD_6PK BAD_6PK
Posted: 01/31/11
09:42 PM

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the help and input.

I was able to get a 3/8" die from Ace Hardware down the street and it worked perfectly. I put it on the pickup about a 1/4" and used it as a guide to for the band saw to cut it off.

Ended up with about a 1/4" to 3/8" clear to the bottom of the pan.

Thanks again.