Duster Clutch OverCenter Spring

Mopar Muscle
Item Posts    Sort Order

Duster Clutch OverCenter Spring

ppeters ppeters
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 01/11
Posted: 01/15/11
11:04 AM

I recently read the great article by Herb McCandless titled "A Clutching Result". I have a 1971 Duster, 318 with a 833 4 speed overdrive transmission (1975). All parts are standard except for the clutch support bracket for the end of the Z-bar linkage.

My problem is that the standard clutch return spring on the fork does not have enough pull tension to overcome the over-center-spring. I have added another heavier spring to overcome this problem. I have replaced/rebuilt all the clutch linkage and have greased all pivot points.

Can you answer the following questions for me?

1) What does the over-center-spring do?

2) I have a Sachs replacement diaphram clutch-do I need the over-center-spring?

3) Using the washers in between the coils of the over-center-spring still does not release the tension enough to remove the spring. I am afraid that I can remove it but won't be able to get it back on again. Any suggestions?

4) I want to remove the clutch pedal to inspect/replace the nylon bushing on the pivot shaft. Once the over-center-spring is out, can I pull the pivot pin and clutch pedal without removing the steering column?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions/information concerning the above.  

IQ52 IQ52
Guru | Posts: 859 | Joined: 06/10
Posted: 01/15/11
04:23 PM

The over-center spring is to ease pedal effort.

The over-center spring is generally not required with a diaphram clutch and it is recommended that it be removed. You will find that with the spring still installed on a diaphram cluth, the pedal tends to stay on the floor when depressed.

Putting spacers between the coils when extended, is the only way I know to remove the over-center spring, besides the old dangerous prybar method.

The clutch pedal should slide to the left away from the steering column when removing it.  

ppeters ppeters
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 01/11
Posted: 01/18/11
09:17 AM

Thanks for the information. I will remove the overcenter spring in the next couple of weeks and see how it works.