Ad Radar
Facebook Click here to find out more!

Anyone using a Dana 60 rear for racing????

Mopar Muscle
1 |  2 |  Next   | Last 
Item Posts    Sort Order

Anyone using a Dana 60 rear for racing????

Transbraker Transbraker
New User | Posts: 7 | Joined: 08/10
Posted: 08/05/10
04:58 AM

I tried this question in another forum on this board, but got no replies, so let me try this over here.....I don't have a MOPAR vehicle, but I have a 70 Chevelle with a 632 CID engine under the hood that I've installed a Dana 60 rear end in for durability purposes. I'm not finished yet with the completion of this car, but it will be for street and strip use.

Anyway, I'd like to know how many passes down the 1320 you guys have gotten out of Dana 60 rears without any breakage, and if you're good enough to comment on this for me, please make mention of your approximate vehicle weight, ET's and power level. I hear some guys with Chevelles who run low 10 second ET's with full weight cars (about 3,600 LBS) say that on the average, they break ring gears in their GM 12 bolt rears once every two years, or about once every 200 passes.

I cannot help but to think that with the bigger ring gear diameter, bigger pinion shaft diameter, and generally beefier housings of the Dana 60 rears, that you guys are getting more passes out of your Dana 60 rears than that without breakage. Am I being realistic about my expectations of this rear, or am I way off? I have aftermarket 35 splines in it with an aftermarket heavy duty support cover too. Any comments based on your drag racing experience with these rear ends are welcome. And BTW, the Dana 60 rear that I have happens to be one of the "S-60" rears from Strange Engineering. But this question is about Dana 60 rears in general. Plese list your 60 foot times as well so that I can get a good idea of how hard your car is launching. I plan on launching my car off the transbrake. FWIW, here are a few pics of this Dana 60 rear I've installed.

Bmrbar044

Bmrbar040

Bmrbarxiia  

dubber123 dubber123
New User | Posts: 19 | Joined: 06/10
Posted: 08/07/10
08:31 PM

I wish I had some first hand experience to share with you, but I don't...  My brother has a good bit of 12 bolt experience, and based on that alone, I would bank on the Dana 60 lasting a good bit longer than a 12 bolt in a serious racing application.  

Transbraker Transbraker
Posted: 08/08/10
07:38 AM

Thanks for your reply. I'm very surprised that nobody who uses a Dana 60 rear has replied to this post question of mine. After all, this is a MOPAR board. Either everyone and their brother uses a Ford 9" rear in their MOPAR drag cars, or there aren't very many drag racers on this board. I went with the Strange Dana 60/S-60 rear because the increased pinion yoke size, the increased pinion gear shaft diameter, and the increased ring gear diameter which are all bigger than that of the Ford 9" rear. With a 4,000 LB car and 800 HP under the hood, I am more concerned about durability than I am about having bazillion choices of gear ratios like there are with the Ford 9" rear. With the Dana 60 rear from Strange, I chose 3.73 gears, and I'll most likely leave them in there since the 775 ft/lbs of torque being all in by 4,000 RPM from my engine, and 715 ft/lbs being in by merely 3,000 RPM isn't very likely going to need anymore gear than that. With a 4.75" stroke, a 4.56 or 4.88 rear gear ratio just isn't needed to get the car off the line real hard.  

IQ52 IQ52
Guru | Posts: 857 | Joined: 06/10
Posted: 08/09/10
10:26 AM

I'm sitting here talking with a guy who runs a 3400lb superstocker that runs in the high 9,s with 1.40 60ft times. He has been running the Dana for over ten years.  

Budnicks Budnicks
Guru | Posts: 1497 | Joined: 08/10
Posted: 08/09/10
12:17 PM

Hi I had a 68 Charger with a dana 60 with a detroit locer that was street/race, car wieght was full stell car 3900lbs blown injected 513ci wedge motor on alky 4 speed 4:30 gears ran in mid 8s with sliks & mid 10s with mickey thompsons sportman, 1.28 best with slicks ( 30x 12.5 x15 )1.65 best with crapy m/ts rear lasted all, this was about 10 years ago, I personaly think the 3:73 gear will break easier then say a 4:10 because of touque loads especialy with a 632ci 700+ tq. engine . I had a set of 3:54 pro gears I grenaded in I think 10 pass's went to Lenco 4:30's had no issuse's after. hope this helps ( x racer ) Budniks  
"Fill Your Library Before You Fill Your Garage" Good Luck  "Budnicks"

Transbraker Transbraker
Posted: 08/10/10
12:31 AM

On one hand, you bring up an interesting point about the 3.73 gears because the numericaly higher gear sets usually have a thicker ring gear since the decresed tooth count of the pinion gear requires the pinion gear diameter to be reduced, and to make up for that diameter decrease of the pinion gear, the ring gear than has to be thicker. That increased thickness will cause extra strength I'm sure.

The only question that leaves me with is what about the low 8 second cars and high 7 second cars? very few of which run anymore rear gear than 3.73's or 3.55's because of the big inch motors and huge 400 HP shots of nitrous they use? I'm talking about certainrace classes like the IHRA mountain motor classes, or cars in the NHRA "OutLaw" heads up type classes. Lots of really big motors with huge torque.But I'm sure that they aren't breaking ring gears left and right. Correct?  

Budnicks Budnicks
Posted: 08/10/10
10:10 AM

I believe those pro mod & outlaw class's, 1500hp-2000hp not 700hp, apples & oranges, I am prety sure almost all run slipper or slider type clutchs ( atleast they did when I was racing back 10 or so years ago ) not the hit of a trans brake release, they use larger axles, 36"-40" housings, some are solid suspended, spools, 5/8" studs & softer pro style gears, very short axles don't put the same load on gears as long axles do if I remember my physic correctly. I think you are going the right direction but remeber they break alot of parts or replace parts on a maintaince schedual ( even if the parts are style decent )so they don't have catistrofic failures on track ) A S-60 is about as strong as you can get in a carrier syle combination for the money ( there is alwas unobtainiam )             HA HA HA .Budnicks  

Transbraker Transbraker
Posted: 08/11/10
02:34 AM

OK BUD, thanks for your input. I know what you mean about the comparison. My 800 HP application is different yes. But I thought for certain that some of those high 7 second outlaw class cars are running TH400 and powerglide automatics with transbrakes. When you're talking "slipper clutches" are those what get used with G-force and Lenco manual transmissions? because i don't believe that very many of the outlaw guys run those. Maybe the Mountain motor guys do. I dunno.

but your points about the shorter axles and the pro gears are well taken, and those are excellent points. And although I do have 35 spline axles, and the 5/8" diameter wheel studs on my set-up, that still isn't the short 40 spline axles that those guys run. Hopefully I'll be ok with the 3.73's, but time will tell.  

Budnicks Budnicks
Posted: 08/11/10
02:38 PM

Yes I was refering to mainly Pro Mod cars with Lencos & the like, I also saw alot of high-bred style automatics with clutchs, like clutchflites, clutchglides & clutchturbos, I never ran any of them but did run Glides & Tourqueflites of all sort with & with out N20 usualy on delays with direct port foger systems & plate systems for don track, so it wouln't blow of the tires or wheelstand uncontrolably, wheel speed was verry hard to control with N20, Don't get me wrong I think you have an impressive combo just remember the best speed combination isn't always verry long lasting or duabale because you are on the ragged edge, your original question was about duribility, I was just trying to give you a heads up from my experiance was not down playing your combo it is much more then I have or plan to ever have again got out of racing 1996 after spending way to much money chasing my dream all over the country.  X racer Budnicks  

QUARTERFISH QUARTERFISH
User | Posts: 95 | Joined: 10/09
Posted: 08/12/10
06:15 PM

You have a better chance of winning the lottery than breaking a strange 60 unit, the dana 60 was the standard for drag cars in the 70s & 80s, they sort of fell out of favor due to their mass, they are an easy tenth slower then an 83/4 mopar rear or a 9inch ford. however you will NOT break a strange 60, yes the 41 spline is the better unit but, 800plus horses aint gonna wack that 35 spline deal either!  

Transbraker Transbraker
Posted: 08/13/10
12:16 AM

Bud, all your points are very well taken, so no worries about me being defensive in any way with what you said. I appreciate your input my friend.  

Transbraker Transbraker
Posted: 08/13/10
12:24 AM

Thanks for your comments QF. yes, that was my thinking too when I chose to purchase this rear. I probably could've gotten by with 33 spline axles, but since this Strange Dana "S-60" rear comes standard with the 35 spline axles, I was very content to go with that set-up. I am more concerned about longevity of parts, and durability in general with a 4,000 LB car having 800 HP under the hood than I am with saving 30 lbs. The Dana 60 rear is said to only be 30 LBS heavier than a Ford 9" rear is, and although it's unsprung weight, atleast it's directly over the rear tires so traction sure won't suffer as a result.

So if and when I'm ever concerned about weight savings, there sure are a whole lot of other things on my car that I can eliminate to save more weight than that, and in better places too. Things like the back seat, the stock steel hood, the full weight factory four core radiator, power steering pump, hydroboost brake unit, and the factory front control arms are all things that come to mind. I cannot understand the logic of some guys who still have most of those heavy things in their cars like I do in mine, and yet they're still concerned about the thought of a Dana 60 rear end adding a whole 30 LBS to their car.  

Powermaxx Powermaxx
New User | Posts: 13 | Joined: 09/10
Posted: 09/24/10
12:02 PM

Saw this post and had to join so I could post.

I run a DANA 60 in my Challenger and run 7.9@170mph (more or less) and it weighs in at 3300lbs. I don't think you'll have any problems if it's set up right. I also run a torqueflite (thanks to Chris at Andrews Racing Transmissions! in Colorado) (shameless plug  Blush )

I've run a Dana 60 for years in my Challenger but it was less powerfull and just as heavy! No problems in a 9-10 sec ride and had well over 1000 passes on it (I race a lot!)

Some vids of the car..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8vvGpjlwmM

Look under Power2Maxx for more of them to enjoy.
Races018a  
Steve St"RACE"ner

Visit our website

www.laststarfighter.com

drmopar drmopar
Guru | Posts: 1445 | Joined: 02/08
Posted: 09/24/10
01:34 PM

One Nasty Challenger!
Couple issues with your Chevy set up. First I agree with the comment you will break a 3.73 set before a 4+ gear set up. Why? Simple, you will be putting more load on the 3.73 set compared to the 4+ gears.
Second, leaving on a trans. brake multiplies the load put on the rear end.
 Cool  

the64dodgefan the64dodgefan
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 10/10
Posted: 10/12/10
05:58 PM

We run a Dana 60 rear with no problems.  We use a pro ring and pinion gear. Mark Williams axle, spool and drive shaft.  3500 lb 64 Dodge is over 1000 HP 572 CI.  Best 60' was 1.2860.  The transmission is torque flight 727 made by Cope.  Here is a video of launch about month ago.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWd0RaY0FBQ

Watch?V=Qwd0ray0fbq  

1 |  2 |  Next   | Last