Removing Torsion Bars

Mopar Muscle
Item Posts    Sort Order

Removing Torsion Bars

challengerguy challengerguy
New User | Posts: 25 | Joined: 01/05
Posted: 07/31/05
10:38 AM

Is there an easier way to remove torsion bars?  I am swapping out the ones in my Challenger for some new ones I bought from Summit, and they seem to be lodged in there pretty good.  Some years back I pulled a pair out of my '67 Dart by clamping 4 pairs of Vice Grips back to back and then beating them unholy with a sledge hammer.  It worked, but it marred my bars pretty heavily.  If thats how it has to be done I can live with that, seems how I'm replacing them with new.  It just seems a shame to ding up the originals, I like to keep all my OE parts in case I want to put them back in someday...

ritroutt ritroutt
New User | Posts: 6 | Joined: 08/05
Posted: 08/14/05
06:21 AM

I've been there and done that.  The best solution I have found is to take a piece of square cold rolled bar stock (at least 2 1/2" square and at least 8 inches long) and drill a hole in the center full length of the bar. the hole should be about .002 to .003 smaller than the torsion bar. Then use a tap drill for 3/8 allen screw. Redrill for clearance half way through the bar. Do this on both sides. After the drilling is done, split the bar stock with a saw and tap the holes previously drilled with a tap drill. After tapping, blow out the threads and bolt the pieces together on the torsion bar and get the hammer. Good luck. When all else fails, get the torch.

If you use vise grips you will ruin the torsion bars. Once grooves are put in the bars, they will eventually fail.

BadFish BadFish
Moderator | Posts: 329 | Joined: 01/07
Posted: 04/15/08
06:21 AM

Yeah, the vice grip method will ruin the bars. If you're throwing them out anyway, a big pipe wrench actually grabs better than the vice grips, but it will mar the bars and ruin them as well.

If you have the ability to make the tool described above, it would work well to remove the bars. If not, Just Suspension has a tool for removing the bars that is similar to the one described above and works pretty well.  

68charger440 68charger440
New User | Posts: 6 | Joined: 11/07
Posted: 05/27/08
07:52 PM

Don't forget to releve the tension on the torsion bars by loosening the adjustment bolt in the middle of the lower control arm.  Also... I have fount that loosening the bolt that holds the lower control arm to the frame just enough to the point where the nut just barely covers the end of the last threads, and then tapping the end of the nut with a hammer will push the torsion bar out about a half inch.  That is often all you need to begin to work it out the rest of the way without damaging it.  

badbee badbee
New User | Posts: 16 | Joined: 06/08
Posted: 06/13/08
09:08 PM

Mancini racing sells a torsion bar removal and intalling tool for about thirty bucks.  The part number is MREAM23461.  Go to www.manciniracing.com  

DocFiberglass DocFiberglass
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 06/08
Posted: 06/13/08
09:12 PM

The TOOL is the plan