318 ROLLER CAM

Mopar Muscle
Item Posts    Sort Order

318 ROLLER CAM

val70aus val70aus
New User | Posts: 15 | Joined: 06/10
Posted: 07/26/10
08:50 PM

Does anyone know much about the LA 1985 318's with the #302 heads ? Im trying to figure out if the roller lifter setup etc that they came with makes for an easier
change over to a full roller set up that id be able to hopefully buy through Comp Cams, as im looking at doing something along the lines of a xe275hr combo and have no idea about if the 85 block will make the job easier,cant find much info on these years after market parts in relation to this....Anyone done it ??.
Im trying to build a street able 318 thats upgraded all round for reliability power and economy "YEP EVERYTHING" ha ha, ive got the kb 167 pistons, ported the #302 heads got the 4bbl manifold,mopar elec ign, stainless 360 valves, windage tray,shotpeened rods,and a bunch of aftermarket bits.
Just need help on this roller cam set up ????
Would appreciate any feed back from anyone who's been there and done it.

cheers.  

RBolig RBolig
Moderator | Posts: 948 | Joined: 12/03
Posted: 07/27/10
07:21 AM

Anymore, installing a roller cam in an older LA-style block is just about as easy as starting with a later, Magnum-style block designed for a roller set up.

If you have the Magnum block, simply order the parts you need for that block.

If you have an LA-style block, you can order roller retrofit parts from Comp as well.

I guess it all depends on how you want to do it.

Keep in mind. Magnum-style heads oil through the push rods, and the LA style oils through the block to the heads and then to the rocker shaft. If you're using Magnum heads on an LA block, you'll have use AMC-style lifters that oil through the push rods.  
--------------------

Some people are like Slinkys; they're not very useful, but fun to watch when pushed down the stairs.

Minidak Minidak
New User | Posts: 33 | Joined: 05/10
Posted: 10/09/10
07:19 AM

Yes most 85 - 89's w/ #302s are ready for a full roller set up, as they have the holder guides and the holder down pan bolt patterns already ingraved. I'm going solid roller in my 85 318 w/ 302's , I'm running a 270s right now and LOVE IT. solid lifts are great horse power improvements, only catch is you have to check your lash every say 1 or 2 weeks? depending on how much you drive.