More caster

Mopar Muscle
Item Posts    Sort Order

More caster

yvdz yvdz
User | Posts: 118 | Joined: 12/08
Posted: 07/11/10
11:14 AM

Does anyone have experience with offset upper control arm bushings? Do they have the same effect as those tubular control arms?
I'm thinking about adding more positive caster to my '73 Dart to improve stability.  

451Mopar 451Mopar
User | Posts: 220 | Joined: 07/10
Posted: 07/12/10
11:00 PM

I have not tried this, but the adjustable lower strut rods might be useful for dialing in a bit of caster.  

.71RedneckStroker_ .71RedneckStroker_
Guru | Posts: 848 | Joined: 11/09
Posted: 07/13/10
04:29 AM

Yes, they can have the same effect. It all depends on how you install them. They can adjust caster,camber or a combination of both. I like the idea of adjustable strut rods better, but the ball joints could be just as effective.  

I can put a square peg in a round hole. Gimmie that hammer.

Duster340Sixpack Duster340Sixpack
User | Posts: 70 | Joined: 12/09
Posted: 07/13/10
09:44 PM

The offset bushings would be the cheapest way to go.

The tubular arms would probably be a little more rigid and give you more tighter feeling.

If money is no object then go with the tubular arms.

I'm thinking of doing the same to my 73 Duster.  

You wanted the Best you got the Best.. Mopar All The Way.

yvdz yvdz
Posted: 07/17/10
12:19 PM

Changing the caster with the strut rods?? How would I do that?
I assume the offset bushings come with instructions on how to install them, right?
It would be I pain I guess to find out you can't get the caster you want and then remove the control arms again...  

waynep7122 waynep7122
Enthusiast | Posts: 643 | Joined: 08/09
Posted: 07/17/10
02:07 PM

one could change the caster with adjustable strut rods...

have a machine shop machine the inner stop off... and thread the normally unthreaded area...

this will allow you to install nuts on both side  and adjust the caster slightly by moving the lower arm forward or rearward...

warning.. if you go very far from stock.. do to the lower control arm bushing and shaft design.. you might want to limit your adventures in caster to small amounts of change..   you might get away with it.. but you could also shorten the life of the lower control arm bushings..

just curious... are you having problems setting the wheel alignment???  were the lower control arm bushings properly installed..  

shaft into the bushing.. then the bushing into the lower control arm..    get the order wrong..  the inner half of the lower control arm might end up being to close to the K member..  

yvdz yvdz
Posted: 07/18/10
05:35 AM

No, I don't have any problems setting the wheel alignment. I'm just curious if more caster will improve stability & returnability. Since I changed the power steering box the steering wheel does not come back to center when coming out of a turn. At least it's returning slower than before. I have posted this problem on this site last winter but I had no response and now my stories seem to have disappeared...The box is a stock rebuild unit. It is not adjusted to tight, I already checked that.
No offense but I think I skip the adjustable strut rod method you described. Sounds like you put unwanted stress on the lower control arm/bushing.
Thanks.