Single to dual pick up 318 Distributor conversion

Mopar Muscle
Item Posts    Sort Order

Single to dual pick up 318 Distributor conversion

buick455 buick455
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 05/10
Posted: 05/30/10
03:06 AM

I have a dead pick up in a distributor from a 1985 New Yorker. I got a dual pick up distribuor from a neighbour. This new fangled stuff is something I have no experience with. How does one modify the "dualie" to work in an engine that previously had a distributor with a single pick up?
Would I be better off to just go and buy a rebuilt distributor with points and make the other required modifications? Thank You.  

waynep7122 waynep7122
Enthusiast | Posts: 643 | Joined: 08/09
Posted: 05/30/10
12:21 PM

the new yorker in 85 if i am not mistaken is a front wheel drive...  do you have a fifth avenue???

as those had 318's with a single or duel pick up depending if it had lean burn feed back system...

the single pickup coil at AZ is under 20 bucks..  AZ #Part Number:CR106
a new reluctor is 6 bucks.. AZ# Part Number: CR102
warning.. the reluctor can go on 2 ways.. there are 2 slots.. one for counter clock wise.. on for clockwise.. mess it up and the rotor will be between the cap terminals when the coil fires..  good for mis fires..

and are you sure the pick up coil is actually the problem...

got a digital volt meter.. lets test it.. takes about 2 minutes..

set the digital volt meter to 2K Ohms... (2,000 Ohms)    hook it up to the pick up coil connector... you should get 500 to 1,500 Ohms of resistance if the pick up coil is good....  

BUT.. before you disconnect the test leads.. flip the meter knob to 20 VOLT AC scale..    see is when you spin the distributer shaft if its out.. or when you crank the motor.. that you get close to one Volt AC..  

if you get a good OHM reading  but fail the AC volt test.. change the reluctor..  they do fail...

yes.. a totally solid object can fail...   when they get rusty... or get solvent sprayed on them... or sand blasted while being rebuilt..   the reluctor will not retain enough magnetic field to saturate the pick up coil as the reluctor spins past...

why is this important..  

if you don't get close to ONE volt AC...    there will not be enough voltage to push the power transistor over its threshold .. 0.3 above 0..    (one volt AC is 0.5 above 0 and 0.5 below 0 volts.)   so 0.3 above 0 is needed to turn the activate the power transistor to drag the coils primary to ground to saturate the primary..   no saturation..  or on signal ... there is no off signal to discharge the coil...  no spark...   no  start...

you can and also should check the pick up coil wires  at the module connector also.. make sure they are properly connected and that no wires are broken...

a lot of 85s also had coils that would go bad..    use an adjustable gap coil spark tester...

you can see if the distributer works.. by plugging it in to the harness.. grounding the housing.. spinning the shaft with the key on..   you will get sparks if it is working properly

you can also set the crank timing marks to what ever you want the base timing.. line up the pick up coil and the reluctor tips then lock the housing down.. it should start then...

its really easy to gently with 2 screw drivers work the reluctor up the shaft.. catch the roll pin somehow..  take off the pick up coil as it is mounted to the breaker plate.. the whole thing comes off in a few minutes on the bench..     not hard.. and something that every mopar owner should learn how to ***

i personally have not tried swapping the distributers..  dual for a single.. there is no reason it will not work...  

buick455 buick455
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 05/10
Posted: 06/02/10
02:59 AM

Got to work on your suggestions Tuesday and am happy to report that your information on testing both the pick up and the reluctor, specifically the "specs", allowed me to narrow the problem down to a dead reluctor.Absolutely NO voltage reading at all when I probed it this evening. Check 3x to ensure that I was not misreading the meter and also compared sampled values to that of the dual pick up which put out approximately .5 volts when the engine was cranked. I owe you big time for your help. There a a few beer waiting if you ever get to western Canada. Grin  

.71RedneckStroker_ .71RedneckStroker_
Guru | Posts: 848 | Joined: 11/09
Posted: 06/02/10
03:13 AM

Wait a minute......how'd a Buick get in here? We gotta to Bolig about a better screenin process.  Laugh  

I can put a square peg in a round hole. Gimmie that hammer.