Mopar Muscle
1 |  2 |  3 |  Next   | Last 
Item Posts    Sort Order

318 cams

badsport badsport
Enthusiast | Posts: 385 | Joined: 01/10
Posted: 01/02/10
06:40 PM

I have a bone stock 318 with low mileage in a 74 Dart Sport. I would like to know what cam can be installed in this engine to perk it up a little, lift duration etc, without having to do to many mod's. I also plan on installing an aluminum intake,650 carb and headers. This is just to perk the car up, and make it a little more fun to drive, until I get another engine built for it.

Thanks Confused  

Move Over People Are Racing

.71RedneckStroker_ .71RedneckStroker_
Guru | Posts: 848 | Joined: 11/09
08:09 PM

Crane's Power Max #H-278-2. Duration @.050" is 222 int. and 234 ex. Lift is .467 int. and .494 ex. with a 114 degree lobe seperation.  

I can put a square peg in a round hole. Gimmie that hammer.

badsport badsport
09:27 PM

Will this allow me to run the same lifters (new of course) along with the same push rods and stock rockers? When I purchase the cam do they sell the new lifters with it? Is there anything else that I should look at replacing while I am in there? The engine seems to run very good now, I just want a little more pep. Does the combo that I am thinking sound feasible? This engine has 77,000 original miles on it and is original to the car.  

I just searched for this cam and cannot locate it, search tells me no match. Where would I find it?

Thanks for the reply. Laugh  

10:19 PM

Yes. I would get the kit with the lifters, springs, retainers and valve locks. Although it is a mild camshaft, it will work best with the right components. If your stock pushrods and rockers are in good condition, they will be fine. I would also recommend getting the high dollar Crane double roller timing set. Don't cheap out on the timing set. Use the zero keyway in the crank gear, because Crane grinds their camshafts with some advance already in. Make sure you use the high quality double ROLLER, not just a double row. There's a big difference. The cam will have a slight bump when cold. It may have a slightly noticable idle warm in a 318, but in a 360 when warm, it sounds stock. It is a very good camshaft. If you make these mods to this 318, I will bet that you will not want to build a 360 later on. That 318 will walk the dawg.  

badsport badsport
Posted: 01/03/10
10:35 AM

Thanks a bunch for the info. I had some degree of difficulty finding it, but I just located it.

With that said, what lifters are stock to the 318, hydraulic, solid etc? I have tried to find that info and have not. I assume from your comments that I would want to run the same, but new of course, is that correct? I hate to seem dense about this but it has been over 30 years since I have had the time to even think of building a car. Kids are grown now and we finally have the time to concentrate on a project. I really appreciate the input this is a great forum. I have been a Mopar nut since High School and currently own 5 Mopars. I would never think about owning anything else, they have been extremely dependable over the years. Thanks again for the help! Cool  

Posted: 01/03/10
08:10 PM

Ok, so you HAVE located the cam kit, then? Good. Yes,the 318 had hydraulic lifters. The reason  you had difficulty is because Crane Cams went out of business. They sold all of their holdings to S&S Cycles. The company is still  in the process of making all the necessary legal changer to once again sell the Crane line. summit Racing likely has that cam in stock. I would get the whole kit. Don't skimp or you'll be sorry you did.  

badsport badsport
Posted: 01/05/10
06:39 PM

Any suggestions for a torque converter (stall speed) will the stock one work with this application.  

07:43 PM

Yes. The stock converter will be fine if you use the camshaft I recommended. You CAN use a stall if you want, but it's certainly not necessary. If you do, I would not go above 2000 RPM. I would just use the stock one.  

Duster340Sixpack Duster340Sixpack
User | Posts: 70 | Joined: 12/09
09:46 PM

That might be too much cam for the 318. I would recommend something a little smaller. I would go for the High Energy Comp. Cam  268 Duration and 454 Lift. That should be more than enough cam for a stock 318 with just an aluminum intake and 650 carb. Take a look at Mancini Racing.com under A engines and them Cams. Cam and lifters set $175.00. Yes also replace your Timing Chain and gears with a true double roller. I ran this cam on my 73 Duster years ago with a 318 and headers and it ran great, slight rough idle but very strong mid range rpm. I used it with 3.23 gears in the rear. That will perk it up a little.......  Again that's only my personal choice and experience.  Good luck!  

You wanted the Best you got the Best.. Mopar All The Way.

Posted: 01/06/10
09:18 AM

Those duration numbers coupled with that 114 lobe sepration make that a very docile camshaft. It will have only a noticable idle when warm....and possibly sound stock. It sounded like a stock 318 in my stock bore and stroke 360. That particular camshaft has a split lift and duration, which works extremely well with stock heads and small tube headers or manifolds. The extra exhaust scavenging from the split pattern will be of great benefit. Stock or nearly stock engines always show greater improvements with split pattern camshafts. That's why I recommend that camshaft all the time and I stand by it. The 318 is smaller, so the cam might bump a bit more, but it will still be very responsive. Be careful with the comp cam recommended. It's misleading because of the lobe seperation angle. It is only 110 degrees. This makes the camshaft just as "big" as the Crane part number I mentioned. When you tighten up the LSA, you essentially do the same thing as increasing the duration. I would bet you could not hear a difference in idle between the two cams, but the Crane will be the better choice because of it's dual pattern characteristics. In the end, it's your decision. The difference between the two cams will likely not be 15 horse power.  

10:01 AM

Well, I know you won't believe me....cause I almost don't believe it myself, but look at the difference.

Here's the Comp cam:
COMP268

Here's the Crane:
CRANE

I never would have thought it would have been that big a difference. ALL I changed in the program was the cam. NOTHING else, I promise. The difference surprised the hell out of me. Oh, I did use 850 CFM for the carb, cause naturally, I thought Thermoquad. But I used it for both, so there's no difference there. Or anywhere except for the camshaft.  

badsport badsport
08:35 PM

I noticed you had larger valve numbers in the program, how will the stock valves 178/150 affect those numbers? As far as cam choice, no brainer, that's a pretty impressive difference.

Do you think 650 cfm carb will be big enough, or should I go bigger? I was looking at TQ;s and they look pretty confusing to me, but I noticed in another post you said they are efficient for gas mileage purposes. Are rebuild kits available to all TQ's or are some of them more plentiful then others. I'm considering going on a junk tour to see if I can find one plus an extra set of heads and misc. I have no experience that I can recall with one of these carbs. Which one would be the better choice? I'm still on the fence as far as carb choice goes, but whatever I get I want to get the right size from the git go.  

09:30 PM

The difference will remain the same. You'd just make a little less power on both graphs with the smaller valves. I would try to go with the larger valves, though. NOT 2.02s. THAT would be too large....besides, they won't fit in a 318 bore without notching the block. But the 1.88s and 1.600s will. I would recommend finding some good "J" heads if you can and get them worked. It would be worth the money. Either way though, I think you'll be happy. honestly, if it was me, I'd use a thermoquad. Just search thermoquad on the forums. I talk all about um. You can't beat um on a street car and yes, the 318 wil handle one just fine. I'll change the valve sizes and post up tomorrow. I'm tired right now and headed to bed. I'm old and need my beauty rest. LOL ...and I'll be more than glad to help with the thermoquad....by phone if necessary. They are quite simple once you understand all the adjustments. There are a few, and that's usually what scares people off.  

Posted: 01/07/10
06:10 AM

As promised. I substituted the smaller valves and carburetor. The difference is quite insignificant from the first runs, but the power difference is still quite large. Now, I'm not trying to discount Duster340Sixpack. Mr. Duster340Sixpack, please don't take it like that. It's just that in this particular application, I think the Crane is the better choice. THe Desktop Dyno backs up that assertion. There are better programs out there, but it's all I have and can afford. I'm sure it's not off by much if at all.

Comp Cams 268

NEWCOMP268

Crane Power Max

NEWCRANE  

Duster340Sixpack Duster340Sixpack
User | Posts: 70 | Joined: 12/09
Posted: 01/07/10
09:12 PM

I understand that the Crane cam will produce more power..... that is why I suggested a smaller cam. I was thinking along the line of not doing much to the 318 like replace the heads to the J heads and replacing springs. The motor has 77,000 miles on it and that is why I thought just change to a mild cam and lifters intake carb and headers, and timing chain. Now if that was me and I was going to the trouble of changing heads I would probably look at replacing the motor with a 360, rebuild it and do everything right and of course use the Crane cam or even go one step higher on the cam ( lots of power and torque ). I have to admit I was quite impressed how much more HP the crane cam produces.

On another topic, I have an new old stock General Kinetics Cam , I've had this cam for 25 years. I have lost the spec card but I recall it has 292/292 duration and .500/.500 lift Mechanical Cam. I was wondering how it will work in my 340, with 10.5:1 forged pistons and a SixPack set up. Do you know anything on these cams, is it worth using?? I'm thinking I could do better with todays Technology Grind cams and maybe use something with a liitle less duration. I'm using 3.55 gears.  

You wanted the Best you got the Best.. Mopar All The Way.

1 |  2 |  3 |  Next   | Last