904 to 727 trans. & torque converter conversion

Mopar Muscle
Item Posts    Sort Order

904 to 727 trans. & torque converter conversion

AZ1970DartSwinger AZ1970DartSwinger
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 08/09
Posted: 08/29/09
02:07 PM

I have a question about my transmission and torque converter I just installed into my 1970 dodge dart swinger. I installed a sizzler transmission (TCI part# 111138) with a sizzler torque converter (TCI part# 141538) in my dodge dart that has a 318 engine.  I’m feeling a vibration and wanted to know if you think that the combination of torque converter, transmission, and engine are not compatible and are creating the vibration?  I don’t want to cause any damage so I have reluctant to drive the car.  I’m currently looking at the drive line and rear end, but I did not have this vibration until I installed the new torque converter and transmission. I read that the balancing of the older Mopar motors was in combination with the torque converter?   Not sure if this is my problem or not? I replaced the original 904 transmission & torque converter that came on the car with the TCI trans. & torque converter.  I sold the old parts before I had time to see if there were any balance weights on the converter.  If anyone has some expertise in this area, I’m hoping you can lead me in the right direction. Any information or direction would be greatly appreciated.

If there are any aftermarket products that can help me resolve this issue, please let me now.  This is all I need to fix to get my car on the road.  

marcohotrod340 marcohotrod340
Enthusiast | Posts: 461 | Joined: 09/08
06:55 PM

some smallblock mopar engines had a weight on the converter : 1972+3 340 with cast crank and all 360's . all 318's are internal balance-no weights. try unbolting the driveshaft,rotate a half turn and bolt it back on. the tci 141538 has no weights right? and the flexplate has no weights ? b+m has flexplates counterweighted for late 340's and 360's , u didn't throw one in did u ?  

07:02 PM

when does it vibrate ? if it vibrates when in park it is not trans or driveshaft or rear end or tires.  

Posted: 08/30/09
03:26 PM

I contacted the guy I sold the 904 transmission and torque converter to and he sent me a pictures of it. The torque converter has 4 weights on it. The TCI 141538 does not have weights on it.  The flex plate I purchased from Checker Auto (pioneer FRA309) is their 727 Torqueflite OEM part, and it did not have any weights on it either.

I notice the vibration starts at about 30 mph and doesn’t have the wining sound of a rear end.  The vibration pulsates...What I mean is, that it comes and goes in rhythm.  It will start mild, get louder, then go away for a split second…Then it comes back.

I will try your suggestion to rotate the drive line 180 degrees and see if that works.  

Posted: 08/30/09
03:54 PM

So what you are saying is that if it is unbalanced, it will still vibrate in park at higher RPM’s than idol.  So if I put the car in park and I notice the vibration as I run up the RPM, then it has to be in the engine/torque.  If no vibration occurs, then it has to be in the trans., driveline, rear end, or tires. I though the torque converter had to be engaged (in drive) to get the vibration to happen if out of balanced?  

Russ.at.TCI Russ.at.TCI
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 08/09
Posted: 08/31/09
06:01 AM

Please Contact me at TCI

my name is Russell Culver
russell.culver@tciauto.com
662-224-8972 ext 335

we are open 7am-6pm central time

i will be glad to help you work through this issue.

thank you!  

Posted: 09/04/09
03:37 PM

are U sure U have 318? old unit having 4 weights sounds odd, are U seeing the 4 mounting lugs? the factory units on 340 cast and 360 had only 1 or 2 weights. the converter is bolted to the flexplate is bolted to the crank so if mismatch exists it WILL VIBRATE in park. what did the guy U sold the old stuff bolt it up to? let us know how U make out. tci is cool, some do not care after the sale.  

Dber Dber
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 03/12
Posted: 03/17/12
08:37 AM

Hi Folks...

Re: Vibration at 30 MPH..
Experienced this on an old Granada car some years ago.
When I got on the highway I would develope a vibration that would start and get louder and repeat the same rythum pattern over and over until I slowed down and it would dissappear.
I checked out the driveshaft myself and found that it has a pretty questionable area in it that indicated it was slightly bent.
Replaced it with a good used driveshaft and that remedied the problem.

Some machine shops are properly equipped to check driveshafts out..

It is not hard to cause damage to your driveshaft.
Unavoidable collisions with animals on the highway or street or even crashing a snowbank at the end of your driveway in the winter can be a contributer.  

christopher13 christopher13
New User | Posts: 5 | Joined: 04/12
Posted: 04/05/12
10:18 AM

that's an nice stuff it would help me a lot thanks for the post.

Performance Chip