Adjusting Torsion Bars

Mopar Muscle
Item Posts    Sort Order

Adjusting Torsion Bars

dart68440 dart68440
New User | Posts: 13 | Joined: 07/08
Posted: 01/25/09
07:15 AM

I have heard that you can adjust the torsion bars to raise or lower the front of the car. Also have heard this will change the way the car leaves the line. Can anyone tell me how to do this and what it does.  

koister koister
New User | Posts: 48 | Joined: 08/08
04:25 PM

There is a bolt that is sticking out the bottom of the a arms. I believe it is a 3/4" head. Turn it clockwise and it will raise the car. Turn it counter clockwise and it will lower the car. Raising and lowering the front end changes the weight transfer when you launch the car. I believe that when the front end is setup low the front end will have further to travel to transfer weight to the rearend of the car. Opposite holds for setting it up higher.  Make sure you measure each side when adjusting the torsion bars so you adjust both sides to the same ride height.  I adjusted mine on my 70 challenger. With the blown 528 hemi and the deep sump pan i only had about an 1 inch of ground clearance. After adjusting them the pan has about 4 inchs.  I could have lifted the front end even more if I needed to. Check my car out in readers rides. searc on koister or use this url. Please comment on it and rate it. Thanks.  http://rides.moparmusclemagazine.com/ride/1017030/koister/1970/dodge/challenger/index.html  

dart68440 dart68440
New User | Posts: 13 | Joined: 07/08
10:08 PM

Thank you thats the information I was looking for.  

maxwedgemaine maxwedgemaine
New User | Posts: 26 | Joined: 01/09
Posted: 01/26/09
12:26 PM

Be careful when you raise or lower the car by adjusting the torsion bars, as it changes the camber and will affect the caster when turning. The tires will wear on the outside or inside depending on wether you raise or lower the front end.
Dom Rinaldi  

64fury 64fury
New User | Posts: 11 | Joined: 04/09
Posted: 04/14/09
05:57 AM

Great question and timely too.  I just bought my 1st Moper which is a 1964 Fury and I want to raise the front and rear a couple of inches as this kind of car looks best sitting a little higher than stock in my opinion. Since I've never had a Plymouth I was surprised to learn raising the front was a pretty simple and straight forward process.

I know I'll need to have the front end re-aligned after raising but can I really get 2 or 3 inches of lift without damaging something. Will this affect the stiffness of the ride or are we talking about too different areas of the suspension? this type suspension is totally foreign to me.

Can I get my rear leaf springs re-arc'd to raise the back? I've heard the HEMI rear springs will raise the back end but really destroy the ride.

Any comments or ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Butch  

HP2 HP2
New User | Posts: 25 | Joined: 04/09
Posted: 04/17/09
11:05 AM

yes, it really is that easy to raise or lower the front end of a vintage mopar, and it will not hurt anything doing so. Certainly you will reduce the travel a percentage depending on how high or low you go, but it will not hurt it.  It also will not significantly alter the ride quality. To alter the stiffness of the front end, you need to change the torsion bar diameter. This would be the same as using a heavier or lighter coil iin other applications.

You can rearch the springs to lift the rear. you could also add a leaf to the pack as well. I wouldn't bet on the Hemi springs lifting the rear. Super stock springs will, but the stock Hemi springs typically will not provide lift.Whether or not it destroys the ride is somewhat subjective. Hemi springs are just a nice, firm spring. Super stock springs are a decent sized step up, but are still no worse than many modern truck suspensions.  

64fury 64fury
Posted: 04/21/09
03:32 PM

Thanks HP2,

Well, I'm really excited to get this beast home so I can play with it. About two weeks and counting.  Crazy  

I've thought about having the rear springs re-arched and might try that. I didn't realize the Hemi springs just stiffened the ride. I've seen photos of 64 Furys with Super Stock springs and the lift was too much unless somehting else was done as well. I don't need a lot of lift in the back just enough to allow some 8x15 or 8.5x15 wheels and some 275/265 x 15 tires to clear the wheelwells and leafsprings safely.

I only want to lift the front end so it's slightly higher than the back (or level) as that's way I remember the great ones back in the 60's before everyone starting dropping the nose to the deck and raising the back. A slight nose up stance makes it look like its launching when it's still sitting still. Great stance for a great car.  

Thanks!

Butch  

DVORAK DVORAK
New User | Posts: 7 | Joined: 10/07
Posted: 05/03/09
06:29 AM

STOP THE PRESSES

Part I

If you want it to look like a '60s SS car, go ahead and jack up the torsion bars until your nose bleeds.

The car will never hook again.

Its the next century guys.

The torsion bars are a SPRING that instead of going up and down, they TWIST! If the bars are twisted more than they need, the front end will have no spring to it and the front end won't lift or TRANSFER weight to the rear. The rear can't rise (not the greatest thing anyway)against the stiffness of the front end.

The higher you go the stiffer the front end.(try it!) Go to low like laying the subframe on the rubbers (pyramid) and the front end won't lift because the spring in the torsion bars is unwound and the whole weight of the nose will have to rise UNAIDED BY THE SPRING EFFECT of the torsion bars. (set the front end down on the rubbers and try it. Pull up on the inside of the grill support with both hands. You won't be able to lift the car. When adjusted correctly, it will pull up easily and rebound easily when you let go) Thats the same thing the car wants to do, lift the front, transfer the weight to the rear. (more to it)

WE MADE MANY MISTAKES IN THE '60S

There is so much more involved in this question especially throwing the LEAF SPRINGS into the equasion.

If anyone is reading this and/or is interested, from street driving to race, I'll tell all I know to interested parties. (I have run 1.3s 60' with the front end 3 feet in the air with torsion bars and leaf springs) I have tried and done EVERYTHING in the last 46 years and the information is free on this site to all who ask. dvorak@dvorakmachine.com  

64fury 64fury
Posted: 05/08/09
02:39 PM

Very generous offer,

I have to confess (hope I don't get fried for this) my purpose of raising the front is for show, not go.  And, I only want to raise it enough to be equal in height or slightly (I mean slightly) higher than the back, if it is raised to clear some L-60-15 tires on 8x15 wheels. Ride is important to me but I can sacrifice a little stiffer suspension for the look I want; but I won't tolerate a bad ride for looks.

I knew a kid back in High School during the 60's who raised the front of his 55 Chevy with bumper jacks and stuck 4x4 in the suspension to get the staight axle look, lasted all of 30 minutes before he seriously damaged his front end....it was hilarious, but we were all young and dumb back then.  Blush

So, I hope I'm not doing a "young and dumb" thing by raising the front a couple of inches maximum and maybe only an inch.

Butch  

64fury 64fury
Posted: 05/08/09
02:50 PM

Koister,

I'm not sure if you're still monitoring this thread but just saw your Challenger. Wow! That has to be on wild ride! How do you like the electric cutouts?  Do they function as advertsed and more importantly do they open and close when they should? It always concerned me that they wouldn't close if needed when the local police car starts to follow the noise.

Butch  

Dave Duncan Dave Duncan
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 09/14
Posted: 09/14/14
09:02 PM

I recently purchased a 55 ford f-100 and am trying to restore it to it's previous glory. I think most of it's modifications were made in the late 70's or early 80's. I believe it has an Aspen or Volare front suspension. It tilts to one side. How do I correct this and do then I need to have it aligned. Old school, but never dealt with torsion bar suspension before. Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks,  Dave D.