Timing for a 440 and 400

Mopar Muscle
Item Posts    Sort Order

Timing for a 440 and 400

RTMan01 RTMan01
New User | Posts: 30 | Joined: 08/08
Posted: 08/11/08
11:53 AM

I know there is similar thread on timing going.  My problem is that when punching it from a stopped position both my cars hesitate and bog before kicking in.  I've retarted the timing and it's helped out but still not quite right.  Timing is at 12 degrees BTDC.  Any advise on how to tweek it to get more power out of the hole?  Thanks guys. Great threads!!  

drmopar drmopar
Guru | Posts: 1445 | Joined: 02/08
Posted: 08/11/08
01:48 PM

Timing is not the only thing that can lead to a hesitation off the line.
If you have a 440 you should have a total timing of 38 degrees at 3000 rpm.
You can set this with a dial type timing light, or install timing tape on the harmonic balancer.  
This should be set with the vac. advance line off.
After setting the timing to 38 degrees let the vehicle idle, check initial timing now, it will be anywhere from 12-14 degrees.
If you have a 400 b engine set the total timing to 35 degrees following the same procedure as above.
recheck intial timing once total timing is set, it will be between 10-12 degrees.
Be sure to hook up the vaccum line for the advance when you are done. Make sure the vaccum advance is working.
The simplist way is to listen to the engine rpm when you unplug the advance line from the dist. to the carb, if the rpm goes down when the line is unplugged than most likely the vaccum advance unit is working. o.k.
Other problems that cause hesitation, carberator accelerator pump may not be working, excessive play in the timing chain.
Also check all tuneup related items such as plugs wires & cap. Be sure to check the tower of the ign. coil, if there is a crack or if there is oil leaking from the tower, replace the coil.
good luck.  

RTMan01 RTMan01
New User | Posts: 30 | Joined: 08/08
Posted: 08/12/08
07:15 AM

Thanks Doc.  I wasn't sure about the numbers for setting the timing at high rpm.  I will give that a try.  Shy of that I've replaced all plugs, wires, etc.  Hopefully this will do it. Thanks again for your help.