Facebook Click here to find out more!

1968-69 Dodge Charger OR 1970 Dodge Challenger?

Mopar Muscle
Item Posts    Sort Order

1968-69 Dodge Charger OR 1970 Dodge Challenger?

G-Man-#001 G-Man-#001
New User | Posts: 22 | Joined: 05/05
Posted: 04/17/08
02:32 AM

Hi

Im looking at buying either a 68-69 Charger or a 1970 Challenger.

Why are the challengers more expensive?

How does a challenger perform to that of a charger?

If I fit both with 500hp and SS springs, which is going to be better for 1/4 mile and 0-60mph times?

Why would somebody buy a charger over a challenger?

What do/dont you like about charger/challenger?

Which is the "better" car overall?

Which car can you do more with?

EG: Challenger i can knock down to 3300lbs. Howmuch would it cost to get the charger to the same weight?

Would the charger cost more overall if I was to get it to perform as good as a challenger?

Also - I Like the 68 charger front but i like the 70 charger rear tailights... If i was to buy the 68 charger and stick the 70 charger rear tailights on it, would the car be a joke, would the car then be worth nothing, or there is nothing wrong in doing this?

ANything else you can think of that i need to know, please say so that I can make my mind up as to which car to buy.

G-  

DamnSTR8 DamnSTR8
New User | Posts: 6 | Joined: 04/08
Posted: 04/17/08
07:07 AM

Ya i would go with the challenger if you wanted a more lighter and faster car.  The challengers are more expensive because everyone is crazy for the E Bodies!

The challenger should already weigh around 3200lbs if im not mistaken..

Make sure its a base challenger or SE not an R/T or T/A becasue you dont wanna go messing around with extremely rare cars if your gonna mod it..  

G-Man-#001 G-Man-#001
New User | Posts: 22 | Joined: 05/05
Posted: 04/18/08
12:22 AM

Thanks for that.

Challenger is around 3650 lbs

I had some people tell me that the charger only weighs 60lbs more....

I dunno.  

1968charger440 1968charger440
New User | Posts: 6 | Joined: 08/08
Posted: 08/24/08
04:39 PM

I have a 68 charger with close to 500HP is ways 3750lb and runs high 12s with auto trans and 3.23 gears on steet tires the times will very with your combination. My fother has a 1970 challenge convetile with approx 425 to 450hp runs mid to low 13s with same setup not sure about wate if you change the rear lights it probibly will drop the price
hope this helps  

drmopar drmopar
Guru | Posts: 1445 | Joined: 02/08
Posted: 08/28/08
10:42 PM

Changing the lights from one yr to another would put your car in a different class as far as appraised value goes.
An Appraiser would consider the vehicle modified, not necessarly dropping the value of the vehicle if it is done properly. In fact many modified vehicles are worth more than stock vehicles.
Which is the better car? no brainer being the owner of a 71 R/T Charger yrs. ago, the Challenger.
However if you prefer the Charger style then thats the way to go for you and forget about what everyone else tells you.
Bottom line is you have to like what your buying because its your investment.
Weight, if your comparing big blocks then the challenger would come in around 35/3600 lbs., and the Charger would be close to 37/3800 lbs.
How to get the weight off, glass fenders are worth something, aluminum wheels are worth a lot when you consider removing rotating weight is a huge performance gain.
e.g. every 100 lbs of weight removed from the car is worth a tenth of a second.
every 30 lbs of rotating weight is worth almost a tenth of a second.
I removed 75 lbs. of rotating weight  by changing my Cragar S/S rims to welds and some lighter tires and picked up 2.5 tenths.
Thats the equivelent of removing 250 pounds from a Charger and now you weight is similar to a Challenger.  
Another way to compensate for added weight is hosrepower, every 10 horespower is worth about a tenth of a second and a mile pr hr. in the quarter mile.
So if your charger was 300 lbs heavier than a challenger you would need another 30 horsepower to run as fast as the challenger.
Many ways to gain 30 horse power, headers alone are worth 30/40 horse power on a big block.
I'll tell you this, the Charger will be a bigger challenge to go as fast but it can be done, and there is nothing like a full size car running fast. I know I have a street driven b-body with a small block that runs 12.60's and currently I am running faster than my buddies 440 big block with the same type of car.
Thats the beauty of hot rodding, each piece is unique and that should be the deciding factor for you.